Rock Salt as Substitute

Discussion in 'Salt' started by ChillGuru, Oct 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ChillGuru

ChillGuru Astrea Snail

Hello everyone. I was hoping to get expert advice here for my problem. :) I recently upgraded from 15g to 75g based on my lfs advice. I only filled the 75g with 35g worth of water because I almost out of Instant Ocean. When I returned to the lfs to buy more, they are out of stock. :eek: . I now only have only 10g worth of instant ocean left for water changes, and the lfs says they dont know when they will order a new shipment of Instant Ocean. They recommended that I purchase Rock Salt, which is from the sea and sold at the public market. Should I follow this advice and use rock salt with instant ocean? Thank you for any input! Please pardon my poor English.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Rock salt comes from terrestrial environments. Remnants of old lakes, seas etc. It contains the two most abundant elements in salt water- sodium and chloride. As for the trace elements, that is unknown.

4. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

No, wait for a real salt mix. There is no telling what is in the rocksalt as far as essential elements and you also dont know what bad stuff could be in there. Its always best to wait for the right product.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

whats your live stock? and even then i would not risk it. if there is no immenent need to get this system up and running then take your time....time is golden in this hobby

7. ChillGuru

ChillGuru Astrea Snail

Hi and thanks everyone for your advice. I guess Rock Salt is out of the question. :) Its a good thing I came here to check first. I dont understand why the lfs suggessted that rock salt is good substitute. I am currently looking online for locals who will be selling. Thanks again!

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Unrelated, but your English is very good. I wouldn't have known it wasn't your first language.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

FWIW, you will discover that bad advice from the LFS is a fairly common issue for all of us, unfortunately.

11. ChillGuru

ChillGuru Astrea Snail

Hi Everyone! So update and possible solution to my problem. My lfs ordered some salt mix for me, but it will arrive in December. :) . I told him it not advised to use rock salt, I guess he did not want to comment though. Thanks again for the help at this forum! I ordered enough salt for 80gal.

I guess my time spent in school was good use because my English is okay. :) thank you for the comment!