RO/DI Water

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by builderguy, May 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Flecth can you point it out for me as there is loads of information on that page and it is hard to tell what you are pointing too here.

Thanks
    Dave

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I did Dave I put it in my post--- Alhambra,Lady Lee and Safeway

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Also check this out

http://www.supermarketguru.com/page.cfm/2078

2. Tap water as bottled water?

About 25% of the bottled waters consumed in the U.S. come from municipal water supplies. Most goes through significant processing such as reverse osmosis, [glow=red,2,300]deionization[/glow], activated carbon filtration and other treatments. Read the label as it is packaged as "purified" or "drinking water". Unless the water has been “substantially” altered, it must state on the label that the water comes from a municipal water source. Often images on the label show mountains, snow or other bodies of water. For example, the label design on Aquafina (from Pepsi) gives me the feeling of mountains and snow; implying that Aquafina may be from a mountain spring, rather than bottled at Pepsi plants using processed municipal water. Coke’s Dasani, also one of the leading bottled water brands is processed municipal water with added minerals. Many gallon jug waters are also from municipal sources.

The word "natural" is only allowed for bottled water, which is derived from, springs or wells where the natural chemical (mineral and trace elements) composition of the water has not been altered as a result of treatment process.

The truth is that there are waters out there that can help you drink more fluid and as a result may improve your health. But you have to separate the hype from the science and read those labels!

And
    http://atn-riae.agr.ca/us/e3267.htm

The FDA established standard definitions for various terms used on the labels of bottled water (see Table 3).

Table 3. Bottled Water Definitions and Labels, U.S. (2000) Type of Bottled Water Definition

Drinking water Bottled water that is obtained from an approved source, meets all applicable federal and state standards, and has undergone a minimal treatment process consisting of filtration and some type of disinfection.

Mineral water Water that is collected and bottled directly at the point of emergence from a protected underground source without any treatment to alter its natural mineral composition (e.g., minerals cannot be added to this product). Mineral water contains at least 250 milligrams per litre (mg/L) of natural dissolved substances and is distinguished from other types of bottled water by its constant level and relative proportions of natural minerals and trace elements in the source water.

Well water Water that is pumped or collected using some other mechanical means from a bored or drilled well that taps into a groundwater aquifer (a water-bearing rock or soil formation located underground).
    Artesian water Water that is collected from a bored or drilled well that taps into an aquifer trapped beneath a confining layer of impermeable clay or bedrock, which pressurizes the groundwater and allows it to rise up through the well to an elevation above the water table without mechanical pumping.

Spring water Water that is collected directly from an underground formation from which water flows naturally to the ground surface or from a bored hole that taps the source of the spring. Although spring water requires minimal treatment before it is bottled, it must retain the same physical properties and composition as the natural spring water.

Purified water Water that has been produced by a suitable treatment process such as distillation, [glow=red,2,300]deionization[/glow], or reverse osmosis and meets the most recent definition of purified water in the United States Pharmacopeia.

Distilled water Water that has been produced by vaporizing and then condensing the water during the process of distillation. Distilled water must also meet the definition of purified water in the United States Pharmacopeia.

Sparkling water Water that contains natural or added carbon dioxide in the same amount that it had at the point of emergence from its source. Sparkling water does not include soft drinks, such as carbonated, soda, seltzer, and tonic waters, which are regulated differently and may contain sugar and calories.

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

And 1 more

http://www.finewaters.com/Bottled_Water/USA/Sparkletts.asp

Sparkletts
    Our Crystal-Fresh® drinking water is drawn from deep, protected wells. We test our sources regularly to verify that they are clean and of extremely high quality. We never use surface water or tap water as the source for any of our U.S. bottled water products.

We follow a multi-step purification process to ensure the great, pure taste of our Crystal-Fresh® drinking water. The steps include [glow=red,2,300]deionization[/glow] and/or reverse osmosis, filtration and ozonation. Through these steps, we end up with a purified product. Minerals are then added back for taste.

FineWaters Balance:

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

OK 1 more

http://bwater.best.vwh.net/bott/bt_220oznats.html

Ozarka Natural Spring Water has been a part of the Perrier Group of America since 1978. It was first bottled in 1905. It is drawn from underground springs in the countryside of Texas, and is the leading bottled water in the state. Water from the spring is carbon filtered and ozonized. Its drinking and distilled water undergo [glow=red,2,300]deionization[/glow]. The spring, drinking and distilled waters are sold in 5 gallon bottles for home delivery as well as gallon and two and 2 1/2 gallon jugs. The spring water is also packaged in 12 oz.. and 1 1/2 liter bottles. It is distributed in grocery stores throughout Texas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.

In 1989, at The Great Texas Water Challenge in San Antonio, Ozarka was chosen as the best tasting bottled water among ten leading domestic and imported non-carbonated bottled waters. Ozarka was again chosen as the best tasting bottled water at the 1990 American Institute of Wine and Food's "Homage to H20"

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

OK This will be the last ones

http://www.realpagessites.com/purememphis/page3.html

Quad System Purification Process
    (#1) Reverse Osmosis
    A purification process using membrane filtration, where the flow of water is reversed by pressure to pass through a semi permeable membrane (filter). This process removes 90% of all dissolved solids including minerals, salts, chlorine, and carcinogens.

(#2) [glow=red,2,300]Deionization[/glow]
    A purification process utilizing ion exchange, where positive and negative ions are exchanged for hydrogen and hydroxyls, the combination of which forms pure H20.

(#3) Ultraviolet Light
    An additional means of disinfection which helps kill pathogenic organisms.

(#4) Ozonation
    A disinfection system which utilizes ozone, an oxidizing agent and bactericide that is twice as powerful an oxidant as chlorine. As an oxidant, ozone kills 100% of any bacteria and pathogens (disease producing microbes).

http://www.ccbw.com/product.html

Crystal Clear Drinking Water
    Crystal Clear drinking water is a premium quality bottled water produced through a multistage process including; micron and carbon filtration, [glow=red,2,300]deionization[/glow], and ozination. It has a smooth, crisp taste. It is a great thirst-quencher. Crystal Clear is ideal for making coffee or tea, soups and juices, mixed drinks and ice cubes. It is available in a variety of sizes ranging from 1/2 liter to 5 gallon.

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

OK I retract the statement that no bottle water company bottles DI water.
    There are 3 companies that do. ok maybe more :D

As far as Aquafina and using tap water I don't care because it is goes through the RO process.
    The Bottled Coke water I don't think it does as it does not say so on the bottles we get here.

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Nautilus I am going to have to retract my statement about Aquafina as I could not find and info stating it is DI, I was just going by what a friend told me, and I posted it without checking my facts. If I do Find anything I will let you know. But As for there being only 3 that do you can see by my posts that there are more than that. I found more but I figured I would just stop as I figured the point was made.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=Nautilus link=board=General;num=1085673993;start=45#45 date=05/29/04 at 12:47:28]

If talk just about DI it has no minerals to support your bodies needs and THIS is why you WOULD need to supplement with multi vitamins more than the other person would was drinking tap water or plain RO water.

You can't say this would not kill you because there is no study on it. There would be too many variables involved that it is mind boggling.[/quote]

This discussion is completely driving me crazy.

So Naut, now you are saying that H2o contains vitamins and minerals?

Which part of the Hydrogen or Oxygen atom would you consider nourishing?

John

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=JohnO link=board=General;num=1085673993;start=45#58 date=05/29/04 at 20:56:22]

This discussion is completely driving me crazy.

So Naut, now you are saying that H2o  contains vitamins and minerals?

Which part of the Hydrogen or Oxygen atom would you consider nourishing?

John

[/quote]
    Maybe it is that your not understanding the way the USA water treatment plants do things in the USA.
    They do add minerals and fluoride and chemicals to our tap water. Most of these minerals can be found in a multi vitamin.

If this thread is disturbing you maybe turning your head and closing your eyes would help or not clicking on the thread link would help...LOL

Oh I like both Hydrogen and Oxygen atoms