RO/DI water? what is it, do i need it?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by powerpoint, Feb 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ClimberChris

ClimberChris Flamingo Tongue

Make sure you get RO/DI.. I Was just using an RO filter not realizing it didn't have DI on it and I couldn't figure out why my nitrates were at 20ppg until I made the realization that the DI filter was an addon for my Coral Life system. :D

2. Click Here!

3. phox202

phox202 Plankton

total newb here, and I didnt read the entire thread, my question is,

My LFS sales RO/DI for 30 cents per gallon. I have been doing a 20 gallon long tank, but could never completely fight off the red slime. I have broken my tank down, and cleaned every component to it so far, and will be setting it back up here soon, and hoping to do everything the right way.

so my question, do you need a certain filter to utilize ro/di water?

4. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

To make your own RO/DI water you need to buy an RO/DI unit it will run you about $150. If you don't want to buy one right away you could just buy water from your LFS 30 cents per gallon isn't bad.

5. phox202

phox202 Plankton

I

Probably what I am going to do. My last set up I was using catalina water at 1.30 per gallon or so. I am only doing a 20 gallon set up so i wont exactly be burning money on it so much

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

is this a really important piece of equipment to purchase? For my puffer's tank which is very high brackish/marine i use normal tap water from the sink and fill up an empty 1 gallon milk jug. I pour the water into his 20 gallon tank, do two capfulls of prime, then add the salt, and that's it.

For my new 46 marine tank will this work? i'm planning on using an actual, probably 5 gallon bucket for water changes. Is it important to mix the salt in the bucket first and then add it to the tank, instead of putting the water in then adding the salt?

I am so completley fused about ro/di units, i think i should get one but i don't know how they work or how i would use one?

7. Validity

Validity Skunk Shrimp

Puffer Chick Yes its important. Tap water can be bad right now or in the future. Ro/di pulls tap water and takes out all the bad chemicals in the tap water/chlorimine,silicates,nitrates,metals etc.. That stuff you do not want in your tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

if i were to get one how would i hook it up? sounds like it's attached to the sink some how?

10. Validity

Validity Skunk Shrimp

Yeah you can attach it to a sink or a main watter pipe like in the laundry room. I would put it somewhere as close as your tank as possible.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

the only water source close to my tak is the bathroom that's across the hall, i don't think my dad would like installing something to the pipe, he's against me setting up the fish tank anyways (both he and my mom don't like it)

12. Validity

Validity Skunk Shrimp

oh dang My parents just hate the money i spend on it lol. just talk your dad into it!:)