RO/DI water? what is it, do i need it?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by powerpoint, Feb 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. t4zalews

t4zalews Flamingo Tongue

I used to buy RO water from my LFS as well, but I just got a new RO/DI unit. Man, it beats the heck outta driving to the store to get water, I can just watch TV while the unit pumps out water. I strongly recommend just buying one.

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

That is very expensive for grocery store water, the cost will add up quick and so will your nitrates and phosphates! Our grocery store RO water is 29 cents a gallon and it contains small amounts of nitrate and phosphate which has enabled a terrible hair algae outbreak in my tank. I wish I would have taken the couple hundred dollars I've spent on grocery store water and bought an RO/DI for my home earlier. I can't wait till it arrives thursday!!

4. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

So if I bought an RO/DI unit, could i make tap water into fresh bottled water to drink?

5. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Yes but you need to get a separate part to bypass the DI for drinking. Supposedly it's not safe for babies and small children to drink and it also tastes bad... The sell the DI bypass things for their units here RO/DI Systems

6. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

So is using bottled water for top off worse than tap?

7. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

8. Click Here!

9. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

it can be depending on the bottled water. some company add minerals and such back into the water before bottling.

10. Validity

Validity Skunk Shrimp

I use water from my Refrigerator and my tank seems to be doing really good, And also I dont know if that water is tap or filtered. lol. Just seems to be doing better then when i wasing using straight tap water,

11. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Hey me too! I use RO for water changes but I use water from the fridge for top off. On my fridge it says aquaclear filtration system or something so I assume it's atleast a little better than tap.

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

yes you really do need RO water to make your tank work good. Tap water still has impuritys so its not the best while RO water does not. its usually very cheap like 39 cents a gallon so its really worht it in the long run.