RO/DI water? what is it, do i need it?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by powerpoint, Feb 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Have you ever tested your tap water before? Do you have a TDS meter? If you do, test it and see what number you get. Luna

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You really shouldn't use bottled water as certain elements are added back into the water after it's filtered using reverse osmosis. The water that I'm drinking right now lists the following ingredients: purified water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt.

4. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I started off using tap water then finally got my RO unit and noticed a change for the better almost immediately. I got my RO unit after my daughter was borne I told the wife its a must have for the babies drinking water. Now my daughter, corals and fish are much healthier.

Thanks mirandacollc

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  5. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

lunchbox that is a good looking bulldog!

1 person likes this.
  6. Benzilla

Benzilla Plankton

I am still using tap water, and am only a few few months into my tank. Initially my algae was absurd, but has since chilled out. My last test of Phosphates was around 20ppm methinks. My question for ya'll reading this be, "Will this sort of level inhibit the health of my soon to have Corals?" Or are RO units just suggested for aesthetic reasons?

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Your 20ppm po4 should be less than .02. No, RO is definitely not for aesthetic reasons. Just an added bonus;).

8. Click Here!

9. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

RO is reverse osmosis and DI is distilled water (right?) and i would say it's worth it. My tank was over run by algae when i first started it up.

10. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I am very surprised to see the people saying they use bottled water for topoff, etc and the fact that no one has stepped in to mention the impurities in bottled water.

I used to work for Coca-Cola, we always joked that Dasani was just Chicago city water and people were idiots for thinking it was so pure.

Here are a couple links to check out...

Bottled water contains disinfection byproducts, fertilizer residue, and pain medication

SUMMARY OF NRDC'S TEST RESULTS - Bottled Water Contaminants Found

A nice little pie chart here

One Third of Bottled Water Contain Contaminants

1 person likes this.
  11. uktrish

uktrish Plankton

It was recommended I used RO water for my new 29 gallon tank which I plan to have as a reef/fish tank. My local supermarket has a machine which produces RO water that has also been through many filtering systems, including U.V. filtering, I bought 20 gallons of it at $1.00 per gallon, but can refill the containers at 49c per gallon!!

Tricia

12. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

DI is dionization, different than distilled. I can't believe you guys are buying RO/DI water for $100 a gallon. I bought it for .55 cents a gallon from the LFS (where I now work and get it for FREE). We also sell pre-mixed salt water for $1.05 a gallon. We have an 800 GPD unit that is a BEAST.

The tap water in Central Arkansas is some of the lowest TDS in the country but if you're putting it in a reef tank it's like fertilizing your lawn and and I'd prefer not to have a golf course in my tank. When your water evaporates the sediment in the water doesn't, just like the salt doesn't. When you top off with tap water you're increasing the sediment (and could be messing with your pH). RO/DI water is pH neutral so topping off with it will not alter your pH, however your tap water is likely not so it can have an affect. Test the pH of your tap water just for kicks.

Ginny