RO/DI water? what is it, do i need it?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by powerpoint, Feb 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Depends on the bottled water. I use distilled water from WallyWorld (Wal-mart) because it says on the label it is RO/DI. I tested a few bottles before I used it and it came out 0 across the board. And at only 58 cents a gallon, easy on the pocket.

Mike

2. Click Here!

3. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Take heart Aaron, I am also fighting a red slime outbreak. Had it for a month or more. My tank is brand new-so I think it is just a stage that it goes through. When it got really bad-I would use Kent's Poly-Ox and keep my tank dark for a day or two at a time. I also had some chem issues as well as some circulation issues. It still is not gone--but it is not smothering my sand or the few corals I have either.

BTW-After starting this tank with having to haul in my own R/O D/I water--I am glad to say I finally have my own unit now. I just screw it onto my kitchen faucet when I need to use the unit.

While I am still new at this--I would say that one needs to use this water to make sure that they are not inadvertantly putting stuff in their tanks that would harm the occupants of the tanks. If you are using just dechlorinated water--better make sure that it also gets rid of chloramine as many cities use this in their water as well. You can get in touch with your local water dept to see what all they are treating your water with so that you know whether or not your dechlorinator is doing the job.

HTH

Anne

4. topsoil

topsoil Plankton

I also had a lot of problems with my tap water. I finally broke down and bought an RO unit, and it has been night and day with my tank. It is also very convenient if it is set up permanately, like under the sink, and not having to run to the store for RO water. Emergencies will inevitably come up, and having water on-hand is essential.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I use to use regular tap water but my water is very hard and who knows what else is in it. Since my local pet shop offers free RO water, I have used it since. I have noticed a difference the few times I used regular tap water as opposed to ro water. More algae and higher phosphate level.

1 person likes this.
  6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

R.O. units are a must. I can make 20 gals. in just a couple of hours. I live in Central Oregon and have well water. Although, the water is great to drink. Buying bottled water sucks. City water is better than well. R.O. is the best.

7. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm on well water and cannot go without a RO/DI system.

8. Click Here!

9. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

i didnt know you could use bottled water. my tap water seems to be working fine however if i can approve my aquarium i will! ;D

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

An R/O unit is a must, its as important as the lighting and skimmer. Luna

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

This is an old thread but I will agree with Luna.....+2

12. Airborneguy

Airborneguy Flamingo Tongue

Honestly, I have always used tap water and never had a problem.