RO/DI water & change.

Discussion in 'Salt' started by kenny2009, May 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kenny2009

kenny2009 Plankton

When you just need to add water dose it already need salt mixed? Or as iv been doing it is just add freshwater and not adding salt untill I do water changes. Just getting some others good do's & fonts and how they do it. I have a 45 gallon can my ro water gos in next to my tank and like to always have some in it. But also mix my salt some times in it. Thanks for the feed back..

2. Click Here!

3. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

When the water evaporates the salt stays. Top off water should not have any salt. Only put salt in when you do water changes. It is best to use separate containers for top off and mixing. I use a 5 gallon bucket to mix my water. Always, always check salinity before and after you do a water change.

4. kenny2009

kenny2009 Plankton

Yea that's how I have been doing it for about 2 1/2 years bit was just sitting here thinking about it. Bit just started really mixing it in a 5 gal bucket. It has the pros and cons. It's hard to get the water back in the tank from the bucket because I have a hood on it. But making due so far. Thanks buddy. :)

5. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

The use of a power head or water pump really helps in water changes, I don't think I have done a water change with out one. Getting water out is easy (gravity) getting it back in can be tricky!

6. kenny2009

kenny2009 Plankton

Yea hear that. Messy as well..

7. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

With buckets it is best to have an extra. I pour 1/2 into another bucket and then add 1/2 a bucket at a time to the tank. Its easier to lift and pour and makes less mess. If you get a bigger tank, invest in a rolling trashcan(Brute's are nice) and a spare pump(I use a spare mag 7). Then I just use the mag 7 to pump water out of the tank and then pump it back in from the trashcan. No Sweat! In a few mins I can do a 30 gallon water change

8. Click Here!

9. kenny2009

kenny2009 Plankton

That's close to what I do. I have a old skimmer pump I use to add water but when I mix it I pump it in a 5 gal bucket and the same to put it back in. Can't dump the bucket in unless the take the hood and light off. Not looking for a bigger tank tho. My tank is already 210 gallon. I have a 225 drilled tank I'm trying to get rid of anyways. Lol..

10. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

If you have a 210 gallon tank you should probably look into a bigger mixing container like a brute can or something. A five gallon water change isn't going to do much unless you do a lot of them.

11. kenny2009

kenny2009 Plankton

Lol.. sorry left that out. I do have a 45 gallon trash can on wheels with some water pumps to keep it fresh untill I need it. I only use the buckets to mix the salt in when I do water changes..