RO/DI water and pH crash

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by VPBassist, Jan 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. VPBassist

VPBassist Bristle Worm

I'm using RO/DI in my tank now. my tap water was 8.6 and settled to 8.4 in the tank. The RO/DI water tested at 8.4 but I was told by a LFS employee that RO water doesn't hold pH and that it will crash in my tank. Is this true? And if it is does salt mix (I'm using Kent's) buffer the pH in the water or do I have to start buying buffer now also? This employee says that he goes through a container of Seachem buffer a week and still cant get his pH over 8.2! He has a 140g system I have a 40g system. I've done 1 small water change (10%) and started topping off with RO/DI water and my pH has already fallen to 8.2. I was going to do a 25% water change today but now I'm concerned that I'm going to crash my system.

2. Click Here!

3. VPBassist

VPBassist Bristle Worm

I really do need an immediate answer to this post

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Im no expert, but seeing how almost all of us use RO/DI water for mixing salt and top offs, if what he said was true there would be a lot of tanks crashing right now. The salt mix will buffer the water, low PH is usually caused by poor gas exchange.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I moved this to the ASAP board although I don't think you have to worry much here.
    You should mention what salt you use and what time you did these pH tests as your pH will fluctuate in a 24 hour cycle.

6. VPBassist

VPBassist Bristle Worm

I thought I did. I'm using Kent's marine salt. I mix it to 1.025 sg. I tested the water about an hour ago; 11am central time and got a reading of 8.2, down from 8.4 a week ago. Not sure what time that was taken but probably in the afternoon some time.

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Check it again just before lights out, thats when it will be the highest. Ph drops at night unless you run a reverse light cycle in your fuge. It then slowly climbs back up in the day.

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

The pH will drop over night and rise during the day. If possible try measuring at the end of the day just after lights out. If they aren't taken at the same time of day then it's really hard to compare the values accurately. 8.2 isn't bad as long as the pH remains stable is the big thing.

Edit: got beat to it lol ^

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks - missed that - thought you were referring to a buffer.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah I don't know too many people not using RODI water! Good luck if you're not! Remember just because they work at an LFS doesn't mean they know what they are talking about or aren't just being a salesman!

12. Slenhart1018

Slenhart1018 Astrea Snail

I just back from a local fish store and asked what kind of water they used. He said tap. I said have u heard of RO/DI? He said yea, its not really as needed as you think, tap water introduces certain chemicals needed for the tank. I said ok and walked out...