ro/di waste water

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by IBMGeek, Apr 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I have had an auto top off for years and never had a problem. It can't be all that dangerous as a majority of hobbiests have an auto top off system in their sumps. I have never heard of a a float valve failing because of salt creep. A float switch may but if you keep up on your maintenance, that shouldn't be a problem either. I'm not sure why he feels that r.o./d.i. systems don't "do well" making small amounts of water but I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that statement?

2. Click Here!

3. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I think i read some place that you may have some tds creep if you do small amounts of water like in an auto topoff situation.

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well it can happen I But the same can be said about the toilet tank or water heater or washer or Ice maker .. After being in the plumbing trades all my life since I was old enough to crawl and pull a pipe along I was working at the trade and what I have learned over the yrs is if it hold water it will leak! Not maybe but it will leak period.. And I have fed water directly into my sumps for 25 plus yrs and only flood I ever had was the ice maker line burst and the washer ling split.. A tank had a seam to blow out But the float never failed me.:) But yes it can happen and a meteor can come through the roof also.. :) walk softly and have renter insurance LOL just in-case you have a leak or the people above you has one :)

5. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Alright... so what other DI unit can I get? For the float valve I'm thinking this Coralife

What about a DI unit? I can't seem to find anything off the bat besides the one offered from thefilterguys. Any help?

By the way... I really appreciate that everyone understands where I'm coming from here. Hopefully one day I'll live in a house, etc and will be able to have a full blown RO/DI unit, but right now... a DI unit with no waste water is better than tap water. So, at least I'm doing SOMETHING...

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

7. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

eh. Looks pretty good... definitely a good point. Definitely cheaper. That and a pump would be just $50.

Even though this unit is expensive, I really think it would do well:
    www.airwaterice.com Twin DI with Dual in-line TDS Meter

But, for $62 I can get the Tsunami. A TDS meter is $35.

Difference is ~$35.

That "tap water filter" is great and all, but it wouldn't really alleviate any of my worries when I'm out of town... I don't want to worry about filling a different container, etc.

The only positive thing would be that IF it went to a "holding area" first I would be able to treat the water.

First step IMO: Get a DI filter connected directly to my tap/pipes thus I don't have to worry about filling a tank/sump.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Gator sorry for the delay But we use a unit called
    Kold Steri-el at the shop delivers like 4 GPM of really high quality water. From a well even,

10. shorty590

shorty590 Astrea Snail

Waste water tube runs right into the swimming pool

11. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Thats a good use shorty, I guess all the chlorine kills everything so good idea, now I just need to get a pool ;D.

Wow I started this thread about 11 months ago, time flies huh.:eek:

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You are joking right ?? LOL l All that rejection trash I'd not want to swim in it why not get a filtration system that will not require waste water and give you better water then R/O and or D.I and won't strip the water of the good minerals we want like ca and carbonates they get past the filter's Look into a Kold Sterile unit. Best of both worlds