ro/di waste water

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by IBMGeek, Apr 20, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I am currently debating if going with tap water or well water as a source for my rodi water. What do you guys do with the waste water created when using regular tap water?

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I use it to add water to a koi fish pond in the back yard.

4. dragonflylures

dragonflylures Flamingo Tongue

I just have an airwaterice system that runs the waste water down the drain and good water into a bucket or 3 gallon resevoir tank. Easy to set up and easy to use.

5. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Run the waste water down the drain from my MightMite. Store the filtered water in a 15 gal plastic drum.

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

i use the waste water from my RO/DI to water my plants and occassionally do small top offs on my freshwater tank (after using stresscoat)...

7. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

mines in the laundry room,so i just divert it to the washer but i gotta keep an eye b4 it over flows

8. Click Here!

9. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I was thinking about doing the same thing and use my waste water to do laundry. At 4 gallon per 1 good gallon that equals up to a lot of wasted water and money. Thanks for the responses everyone.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  10. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

This is why I just get my RO/DI water from my LFS. I live in an apartment without a backyard, garden, etc. So, I really wouldn't have much use for my waste water. Thus, the RO/DI unit would end up KILLING me via just the water bill... LOL.

11. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

GatorDrew,
    I don't know about where you live, but here in Virginia water is cheap. According to my last bill, my household used 19,000 gal of water between Sept and Dec at a cost of $34.00. That's less than $2.00 per 1,000 gallons.
    The wastewater from the RO/DI filter isn't going to break the bank. When the daughter goes to college next year, we'll see if the reduced showers lower my water bill!

12. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I use it for watering my plants as well in the spring, summer and fall...winter time would be nice to use to set-up an ice skating rink in the back yard(Hockey anyone?)