ro/di unit recommendations

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by billybaldwin3, Oct 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

I just purchased a Spectra pure a month ago for my 90 gallon i bought it refurbished straight from the company for a 125 dollars and im stoked. It was easy to set up and works like a champ. Highly recomended by members here.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Most RODI units are able to acheive 0 tds.But at what cost?Wasting water(money) is never a good thing imo.:)
    I have owned a simple ge under sink rodi, an AWI unit, and now a Max cap.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
    Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I used an Air Water Ice Mighty Mite. It was inexpensive and effective. Easy to use too.

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

RO by itself is only 90-98+% efficient so the true TDS of RO only water will never ever be 0 TDS, it is impossible. You are probably using an inline or non temperature compensated TDS meter which lacks the accuracy of an ATC model.

There is no need for special chloramine filters, they are just trying to sell you something. A good 1 micron or smaller extruded carbon block is more than capable of removing the chlorine portion of chloramines and breaking the bond with the ammonia. What they fail to tell you is the DI is much more critical than the carbon and where Spectrapure shines with their custom blended reef specific resins. 30 years of research and development in the industry has its benefits.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm starting with 130tds, and my RO gets 0, before the DI- like for drinking, ice maker, etc.

I guess my TDS meter is not sensitve enough?

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I knew that the DI was the last step to get the TDS down to it's final number. However, I did not know that SP had their own blend of reef resins. I have been buying from BRS, due to their vacuum packaging and color changing properties.

I'm going to check out the resin the have.

Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Don't waste your money on color changing resins, most are very unreliable and passing TDS even before they start to change colors. Always rely a ATC temperature compensated handheld TDS meter if you want any sort of accuracy and reliability. Inlines lack ATC so can be significantly off.
    Spectrapure has been vacuum sealing their own custom blended resins in mylar foil bags for decades and they reject more resin shipments due to quality issues than most other vendors combined sell.

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Replaced my DI resin with BRS resin last time. Disappointed. Won't do that again.