Ro/di Unit in apartment

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by skurious, May 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

it does work well. mine is from Buckeye field supply. it did not come with an adapter but my LFS caried them.

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Any RO/DI can be used portable with a faucet adapter which is available for about $10-$15. For a more permanent but still removable option the tee adapter like already mentioned is a good option but you still need to do something with the waste stream such as drain it to the sink if you do not want to drill a hole in the sink P trap or drain pipe.
    Either way works about the same but I prefer hooking it up more permanent since using a faucet adapter can tie the faucet up for hours on end since RO membranes are not the fastest thing in the world.

If your apartment has a washing machine you could also install a brass wye like used with two garden hoses on one hose bib, thats how many of us hook ours up.

4. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

We use a faucet adapter in the hall bath. Unhook it (leaving the adapter) when not in use & can still use the sink, RO/DI unit behind the toilet, containers in the tub. That way if we forget to turn it off, it goes down the tub drain. Could be very important in an apartment because you WILL forget...

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

hey everyone, i got my ro/di unit today and have it running. I bought a custom unit from Bulk Reef Supply. It is reading and according to my dual tds meter is putting out ro/di unit out at 0. In the instructions it says that a water pressure of 50 psi is best. What if i was at 30 to 35 psi....is that a problem. and if it is, what can i do about it?

6. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

I imagine higher pressure helps to increase or maintain ideal rate of production. If you're only in need of smaller amounts of DI, and can wait, I'd leave it as is.... I'm aware of a booster pump sold in conjunction with the RO/DI systems, but that's about all I know....never seen or used one.

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

it seams to be making the amount of water it is said to create so i dont think im going to mess with it. I only have a 27 gallon tank and my unit makes 75 gpd, i think i will be fine with its performance.

8. Click Here!

9. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Sounds like a winner to me! Keep us posted on performance. Just started thinking, pressure may play a larger role over time as filters begin to age and become more restricted....

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I thought about that too, if begins to perform poorly i will look into ways to boost the psi for my unit.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

40 psi is abouthe the bare minimum for an RO membrane to function, any less and you are relying on the DI resin rather than the membrane. It takes 40 psi tp push water through the membrane fabric. 50 psi the pressure Dow Filmtec says 75 GPD at 77 degrees F but membranes perform better the higher the pressure is up to and over 150 psi, its the fittings and housings that are the weak link. I run my systems at 95-100 psi and the rejection rate is 99.35% at that pressure.

Get your tap water TDS, RO only TDS and RO/DI TDS numbers as well as your actual waste ratio, water temperature and water pressure to calculate how well it is working.

12. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

well with ro only the tds meter was reading 10.