Ro/di suggestions please!? Cheap!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cosmo, Dec 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SpectraPure

SpectraPure 3reef Sponsor

I recall there being a statement that most filters may be fairly equal or similar.

One of my favorite examples is a 1 micron filter sold by many companies in this market. It is fairly popular, and it only costs $0.67 each at my price. That said, I dont sell it. Even though I could, and make a nice margin doing so, our testing and evaluation has shown it to be a poor performer for most sediment challenges, and given the importance that the sediment filter plays in protecting the chemical removal filter (carbon) our opinion and experience is that such a choice can result in not only a prematurely plugged/non functioning carbon filter, but in a premature failure/life of all the downstream components such as the membrane and DI stages.
    I think I wrote something on this some years ago, here is a post here for a bit of it
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/spectrapure/when-do-i-change-my-sediment-carbon-filter-75695.html

Hope this helps your discussion. Nice to see a bunch of folks trying to make sense of a technology and its relevence to their own unique situation and budget.
    bruce

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks Bruce, Jonathon, pete and AZRAT, (spectrapure, reefwerks.com, and Aquafx and well Rat!) This is the type of discussion I love on this forum! And why I don't post much on another lets say middlereef forum! I like the pleasant exchange of ideas and opinions! I didn't like ganging up on my decision and due to, maybe 1 too many beers, got a little testy about the situation! I apologize to all and especially Spectrapure! I shouldn't have made assumptions based upon those posts! I think all agree Spectrapure makes a great product!

But Bruce, ya gotta agree your own PR department couldn't of done a much better selling write up than AZRat did for ya!?lol, might want to get him on the payroll! Almost made me switch!

After reading up more, I'm still happy with my decision and feel that it will stand up to my expectations! I personally chose this route because of the excellent customer service i get from reefwerks! I'm sure spectrapure is just as good, but i tend to stay loyal to a company that treats me well, and reefwerks has!

But thanks to all for the info today! This could be consolodated into a RODI 101 thread!
    Ryan

And Rat, I can't wait to test the tap water where I live! I know I have to turn my water softener to the max due to all the hard metals, and you can't fill a swimming pool with it(learned that the hard way) have to have water delivered for one! I'll let ya know when i get that TDS meter!

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks bruce! i have 2 wholehouse filters just to try to keep some of the sediment out of my pipes taps etc! They get clogged within a month!

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Think I have enough shut off valves? Lol! That's what happens when you have a bro in law whose a chemical engineer! Overkill! Lol!

Attached Files:

6. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Wow now this was truley a great thread with alot of good input and made me feel alot more comfortable in making my decision for a RO/DI system, thank you all, especially AZRat, I live in Las Vegas and Im pretty sure my water cant be much better than yours ourt there in AZ!!

7. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

So question If and when I buy the refurb RO/DI from spectra pure is there anything else that I need to purchase or will the system be ready to go??

8. Click Here!

9. silor

silor Sea Dragon

I was going to ask the same thing.

ALSO WOW !
    You guys rock we all appreciate you as companies coming and talking to us about filters and di !
    And mostly no arguments ! Much respect for that and Rat that's for always being helpful to everyone !

10. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Yeah def karma ++ for rat

11. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I got the refurb and it was good to go. Has everything you need and I might have been lucky but it was the recommended 4:1 ratio so I didn't even have to adjust anything

12. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Just a quick question. With the spectrapure units.
    whats the difference between them. I see people suggesting the mp/di one and i see the ro/di one. i have the cspdi 180gpd one and then theres the uhe. I know the uhe is super efficient. but whats the big difference between the other three?