Ro/di suggestions please!? Cheap!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cosmo, Dec 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Buckeye is in Ohio and Russ is a very knowledgable and friendly guy. Ask him about your choice.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Got it dude! Here's what I'm gonna do! Get the one i ordered, sample the water and take it to the local filtration company and have it tested there! If it tests good i'll report it and vice versa! And I'll do that every few months and keep ya informed! Deal! I'll let ya know if you can say told ya so!

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What TDS unit should I buy? hate to get one that doesn't meet your standards!

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Check out the HM Digital TDS-3 or TDS-4TM. Both are in the $20-$25 range, Buckeye has them for $20 I believe and Spectrapure $25.
    Both are auto temperature compensated, have a built in digital thermometer as well as TDS read out, are +/-2% accurate and read up to 999 by ones and up to 9999 in tens.

For a little more money ($55-$60) the HM Digital COM-100 can be calibrated to read in three different modes, is extremely accurate on the low end such as with RO and RO/DI water and can read down to tenths of a ppm TDS. I have both plus two dual inlines and find I use the COM-100 more than all the others but have no problem with the TDS-3. The inlines are not truly temperature compensated so can vary significantly. They actually read air temperature not water temp and they are rarely the same.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thanks azrat! That's what I was looking at! I'm reading another thread now of you talking about flow rates and levels for gfo! My question would be! Gfo or bio pellets? Thx!

7. AquaFX-Pete

AquaFX-Pete Plankton

Hey All, Pete here with AquaFX - Looks like a great thread, some good info - though some of it should be expounded on, don't you think? (i do) :D

Efficiency of RO systems Can be measured as - The RO units ability to Reject TDS from any given water source (most important) with the least possible amount of waste water.

The efficiency of any RO Is directly related to (1) incoming water pressure (the more the better, kept between 40-80psi for safety) (2) Water Quality . The TDS, hardness, and any trace elements in the water all EFFECT the ability of the water to permeate our RO membrane and finally (3) incoming water temperature.

RO Membranes - After a decade of comparing different membranes, (rejection rates, waste water ratios (WWR), service life) we have hand selected what we have found to be the best. Waste water Ratios are more of a result of inlet vs backpressure. For example, we could restrict the waste line more to reduce the waste water, and claim our RO membrane had a “Extremely low waste water ratio” when in fact, it was the additional back pressure that lessened the waste water. And though “YES” we now have less waste water, we also have shorter membrane life. We have a RO unit that has a multitude of features that allow you to run less waste water with comparable membrane life.

(but I want to keep this thread more on the informational vs talking about my brand, or interjecting with my opinions)

Pre-filtration - Ok, lets think about this rationally - a sediment filter as it becomes dirty actually drops in micron rating (so imagine say a 50 mic sediment as it loads (becomes dirty) will become a 40 then 30 mic and so on.. UNTIL IT CLOGS!!!) so starting off with the smallest possible micron, doesn't leave you much room until the filter needs service.

Clogged filters = less pressure, which if your keeping up = decreased efficiency.. so chose your micron wisely!! :)

Carbon-
    Carbon works through Adsorption as most of us are familiar with (IE impurities 'stick' to the surface area of the carbon, it does not "soak" into the carbon) - so yes it is important to make sure we don't use up the carbons surface area with "debris" from the suspended solids in the water (the sediment) – thus our carbon should never be used as a sediment filter

DI resin - Works on "ion exchange" which means, for every ion in, we exchange one ion out. Different resins have different capacities (amount of ions they can hold) So again, after extensive testing we have "cherry picked" what we believe to be the best resin based on not only capacity but also making sure the resin is virgin (VERY important) and that the base charges were Hydrogen (H+) and Hydroxide (OH-) ions, yielding H20 "ultra pure" water.
    I would like to do an entirely separate write up on this subject, as there are many variables that go into this. But simply stating that one is better vs another is not that helpful.

Obviously I have a biased opinion as I work for AquaFX for over a decade, they have allowed me to pursue my B.S. Civil Engineering degree (finishing next fall), so at this point I encourage you all to research, ask lots of questions and choose the best system based on what works for you!

Rat - I don't know how you could speak badly about something you say you have never used. If you care to work together and perform some real time comparisons, we are ALWAYS open to learning and educating.

Feel free to chime in with comments and questions!! ;D

Happy holidays 3reef family!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Pete, I agree completely with everything you said except the prefiltration part. Yes, a sediment filter loads it drops in micron rating but, and this is a big but, with todays EPA drinking water standards, particulates and sediment are all but eliminated. Today water utilities must use not only turbidimeters but also particle counters and the EPA has enhanced surface water regulations so sediment for the most part is a thing of the past. There was a time I would somewhat agree with you but not today. In the beginning, while that filter is clean, it is passing larger particles and colloidal materials on to the carbon block doing just what we don't want it to do. Carbon blocks not only depend on the surface area, they are also porous and under extreme magnification are comprised or pores, nooks and crannies where this material lodges shortening its useful lifespan.

By preventing this fouling or clogging from the very start you don't have this problem. I still recommend using a sediment filter the same mocron rating as the carbon block for maximum performance.

I use a 0.2 micron pleated sediment filter in my personal RO/DI and a 0.5 micron absolute rated spum poly filter in my RO drinking water system. Both last in excess of a year with higher than normal usage (I do not recommend everyone do this but I am monitoring my filters as a test project). My tap water TDS is never below 530 and often is in the 600-800 range depending on the source blend. Phoenix uses mostly surface water from the Colorado River (three guesses as to where all the sediment goes that carved out the Grand Canyon and the first two don't count!), the Salt River (again three guesses as to how it earned its name!) and a few others like the Gila and New River. all are extremely hard, high TDS waters coming from surface runoff and snow melt. The ground water sources are as high as 1600 TDS and in some cases deep well pumps and well casings must be total 316 stainless steel.

Conditions don't get much worse and filters don't foul or plug.

10. SpectraPure

SpectraPure 3reef Sponsor

Spectrapure here. My 0.02$

With hundreds of potential selections in the manufacturing sources of sediment filters, carbon filters, and dozens of membrane manufacturers (both winders and membrane source material manufacturers), and dozens of DI resin manufacturers, and hundreds of shell providers, the matter of assembling systems for the shelf can be assumed to be either trivial or one of great complexity.

Our experience (since 1985) is that careful selection and extensive performance testing of said components brings value to the final product.

I am unaware of anyone here on this forum other than those with the signature spectrapure (usually Scott or myself) working directly or indirectly for my company, spectrapure. There is no "vested interest", paid, compensated or whatever.

Hope this helps. If I can be of any help to you, just ask. Thats why I pay for the privilege to be on this forum.

I find that if I can help a person, it comes back sometimes.

If I can educate a person, that person can help others, and that always comes back. Our industry needs all the education it can get to survive and thrive.
    Bruce

1 person likes this.
  11. reefwerks

reefwerks Flamingo Tongue

Very well said...thank you!

12. SpectraPure

SpectraPure 3reef Sponsor

my $0.02

Spectrapure is my company, and the only spectrapure employees here have a signature "spectrapure" . Typically Scott or myself, or sometimes Charles Mitsis the founder.

2. Why if spectrapure is so amazing do they have this huge return of product that had to be refurbished and not able to be sold as new?

The economy has been harsh on many businesses. It was a settlement in which a large order was returned in lieue of payment.

bruce