Ro/di suggestions please!? Cheap!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cosmo, Dec 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Wow man your bitter! 2 points if i may!
    1 I said the shells were pretty much the same and then if you continued to read i said the filters were prob the same, manufacured by the same comoany and then branded differently!
    2. You don't think its odd that someone posts a "commercial PR detailed definition of a product like it was made for TV" as opposed to lets say your posts, like most would write? And then see that he happens to live next door to the factory? Maybe a coincidence! And then you chime in with hatred that can only be based upon you have a very vested interest in the company! Come on man, ya don't have to be sherlock holmes to fgure this one out!

happyreefing bro!

2. Click Here!

3. reefwerks

reefwerks Flamingo Tongue

Info is info. Positive or negative. The buyer will weigh the pros and cons. Being similar products, parts, it always comes down to which suppfrlier goes the extra mile. I seriously doubt the difference between AquaFX and SpectraPure filters, is as "vast: as you claim, but Id love to see the difference. Filter changes have numerous variables..i.e. water quality of residence, frequency of running units, etc..all top notch units can only handle and filter so much, IF they are using the same or da** close filters...
    As I AM on the side of "whoever is here to promote the best quality product" to the dedicated reefers..I dont disagree with your strength on who "you" recommend...I just want to see the potential buyer, get what he needs, and at the end of the day, he is....either way...dollar figure aside...

4. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Hey guys....please tone it down a notch. 3reef prides itself on being a friendly forum. If you feel the urge to bash one another, please practice restraint as it will be much appreciated.

5. reefwerks

reefwerks Flamingo Tongue

Agreed...we are not here to bash..just to help.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ok bryan 2 qustions!
    1. How can you assure me he doesn't work for THAT company? Do you work there? If not, you're friends! So why the gang up for spectrapure and hate towards Aquafx?

2. Why if spectrapure is so amazing do they have this huge return of product that had to be refurbished and not able to be sold as new?

just curious!
    I dont want a litre of favre, i want a litre of cola! shenanigans!

7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Yes AzDesertRat is a big fan of spectrapure(who also happen to be a steady supporter of this site) for all the reasons listed in his post but he does not in fact work for them. He does have a 30+ year background in municipal wastewater management and systems maintenance that has exposed him to many of the well known product manufacturers in the water filtration industry.

As has already been pointed out, we each need to do our own research and ultimately make our own decisions on which products we spend our money on, good luck with your decision and please do let us know how it works out for you.
    :joker:

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I have absolutely noting to do with Spectrapure or any other manufacturer, I am a water treatment plant operator and supervisor by profession with 37 years in the industry. In that time I have learned a ton and choose to pass my experience on as others have done for me.

RO and RO/DUI units are not all the same just because they appear to be so. While filters are the main component there are other bits and pieces that are just as important. Look for things like name brand ANSI/NSF and UPC rated components such as housings and john guest style fittings. Many vendors use lower end housings and fittings that have not been put through the rigourous, time consuming and expensive testing and many will fail at the worts possible moment. There is a difference in the quality of the plastics, some such as from China and Taiwan may actually contain traces of lead and other contaminants and get brittle over time leading to failure or human health issues. It really does happen!
    Look for low micron filters and absolute is much better than nominal. Look for tested memebranes, Spectrapure is the only one that meets this criteria but it pays off with a 1 to 2% or higher improvement in rejection rate which asaves you money on DI resins.
    Look for fresh blended DI resins, not something prepackaged and sitting on a shelf somewhere. Resin has a short shelf life, especially when its not packed and stored properly.

Do Not waste your money on a flush valve! Its a total waste of money that only lightens your wallet and gives you a warm fuzzy feeling. They have absolutely no documented proven value and are just a profit item for the vendor.

I guess I look at it as a "Pay me now or pay me later, and later, and later", type situation. I have owned about 6 RO/DI units over the past 15 years and all were trusted name brands including Watts Premier, Air Water & Ice Typhoon III and Spectrapure. I am here to tell you there are major differences and I keep log books of my water usage and maintenance to back it up so its not just hearsay, its the truth.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thank you for your input Rat! i'll check things uot when i get it and if i don't like what i see, back it will go and i'll order the spectrapure! Did some more reading last night! But I'm still happy with the choice I made! I had questions and i got somebody on the actual phone to answer them!

I see you didn't list AquaFX RODI's on your list! Have you used them?

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

No, but I have helped people modify them so they work better. I just hate to see someone buy something they have to upgrade or modify to make it work the same as something they can buy from other sources that works out of the box.

Two other vendors I would highly recommend besides Spectrapure are www.buckeyefieldsupply.com with teir 75 GPD Premium and RO DI | Saltwater Aquarium Water Filters | Reverse Osmosis Booster Pump with their Optima series. Both use off theshelf untreated or tested RO membranes but they
    do use low micron quality filters, true vertical 20 oz refillable DI filters and Buckeye even uses the capillary tube flow restrictor like Spectrapure. There is a difference.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Thx for the info! i'll check it out!