Ro/di suggestions please!? Cheap!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cosmo, Dec 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Join the BRS group buy and save more on a BRS unit, which is a good unit.

2. Click Here!

3. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I am finding it for 150 or so. AZ, what else would i need to get it up and going other then what marine depot has listed?

4. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

It seems pretty much all the RODI units have the same build. The main difference between them is the RO membrane you choose to use and the DI media you decide on.
    Good luck!

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Well put fischkid! After listening to this i researched some more! Most parts are interchangeable at certain pay levels! The cheap ebay filters have similar components, then the little bit better group i just bought has similar components and then the same with the big dogs! After reading up, I'm kinda guessing my Aquafx is remarkably similar to the spectrapure!
    Time will tell!

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

1 more thing refurb verse new! I know makes little difference, but there is a difference!

7. Bryan

Bryan Plankton

the title of this thread should have been "please waste your time and answer my questions for no reason"

If you are going to nit-pick over $12 here and $6 there, then reefing isnt where you need to be. This hobby is an expensive one, and you truly get what you pay for. The Refurbs from spectrapure are still going to be a higher quality and out preform the unit you got. I look forward to reading your "why am I going through so many SH!tty filters?" thread.

8. Click Here!

9. reefwerks

reefwerks Flamingo Tongue

Although I understand and feel where you are coming from to a certain extent...I will have to disagree with a few. I do agree to not pick over $5-20 in this hobby is a bit extreme, I agree it is expensive. But reefers just starting, or reefers on a budget have the right to price crunch...True, this hobby is not for everyone, but those who have invested the time, energy and money to "start", need threads like these to help educate, find options, get feedback and price shop smart.

There are many avenues of every product. SpectraPure is solid. Ebay brands are not. Aqua FX is a solid industry player...They use very similar parts, if not identical in some areas. Both have users and track records that support their performance. If it comes down to $10-20 dollars for a unit, then let the buyer choose his unit, we all have opinions on every product, but the good thing about this one is, he is choosing or being tossed around 2 good, solid units..

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

-10 on karma man! WOW!

I asked a question, got responses and went and researched on other sites as well! I weighed all opinions and decided on an option! Sorry it wasn't for the company you have to work for! But after reading review after review and watching youtibe comparison one after another, heres my 2 cents! Spectapure is great and stands by their product! But others are really similar and share a TON of the same components! Basically RODI units seem to be the same shell and parts! The difference is the filter quality and membrane quality! And those seem to be ver similar in backgroud, much like GFO! Made from one company and branded out under different names! And if i dont like their filters I'll swap out for spectrapures!

So i asked a question, got responses and researched, and came up with a decision! I'm on other forums as well! Sorry i didn't buy your companies product, but feel good about what i bought! i feel sad for you to have the anger to react to anothers $150 purchase with such anger! Weird man, weird! it's my tank not yours! Feel free to not comment on my threads again! hasta luego y buenas suertes amigo!

I'm on this site because i don't like people like this that are on the other sites! it feels like more of a fmily here, hope this dude doesn't ruin it!

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

1 more thing Bryan, I have dropped over $1000 on this hobby in the last 2 weeks! After the cost of the build and first 3 months! So I'm not nitpicking, i went with who i felt comfortable with and gave me the customer service i want!

No worries man, enjoy your spectrapure, and i hope i enjoy my Aquafx, i'll let ya know! Grab a beer man, life is good!

12. Bryan

Bryan Plankton

You have pretty much made my point for me. You paid for the same structural items along with inferior filtration, therefore increasing the number of time you will have to change out your filters. Sounds to me like you went for the more expensive route after all.

The part that set me off more than anything is the fact that as soon as someone (AZ) gives you plenty of info an why one product is better than another you instantly accuse him of working for that company. I will assure you that he does not. Then you accuse me of the same exact thing. Oh and thanks for the "-10 Karma" that really matters to me