RO/DI question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cuttingras, Sep 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Maybe I can clear up some confusion. The float valve is a device that makes water stop flowing at THAT device. The ASOV (4 port rectangular device) is a device that automatically shuts off the entire RO/DI unit. If you simply had a float valve in a sump, when the sump reached the level dictated by the float valve, the water no longer flows into the sump; but your RO/DI would keep producing waste water.

When I bought my Typhoon from airwaterice.com, they explained this in their documentation. Better still, it comes "pre-wired" so all you have to do is attach the incoming water line, and the wastewater line. Airwaterice claims they designed this ASOV device years ago and it was a boon to reefers because it's a very simple way to achieve exactly what we need. They state that they've sold more than a million of them without a single malfunction. Seems like a pretty reliable device to me! Works on simple backpressure. No batteries, no computer chips, not many moving parts.

We need our RO/DI system to fill our sump or tank or bucket when demand dictates--and shut everything off (i.e. wastewater flow) when there's no demand.

Before the creation of this ASOV, users of RO/DI units had to manually shut off the supply to the RO/DI when they didn't want water produced.

In its simplest terms, the ASOV allows the water supply to the RO/DI to remain on 24/7.

And for what it's worth, reef_guru chooses his auto topoff system because it affords him redundancy. Sleeping well at night in this hobby is priceless. Without a redundant system, if a float valve ever was to fail, the ASOV would never know, and the RO/DI would keep producing water until you caught the problem. There's no "better" way, only different. It's why they make Chevy's, Cadillacs, and Fords. If I want to pay 50K for an automobile that gets 18 mpg, I have that freedom to do so, and those who own a $13K Yaris that gets 40 mpg likewise are entitled. It's a free country. :)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

My home depot stinks. They were out of just about every kind of 1/4 quick disconnect fittings...t's, unions.. they had no check valves, about all they had were the quick disconnect elbows. Someone in that plumbing dept needs to start taking inventory and stocking the empty hooks :angry:.

I'll do a test on my check valve tonight Gras, and I'll let you know.
    Because if that's not the problem, then my asov is toast.

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

yep that explains it, but now how do I get the waste side to turn off too? :confused::)

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I actually made about 10 gallons tonight, and when I was finished I left the supply valve open and closed the outlet valve. The waste water continued running when I checked it immediately after closing my clean water outlet. But I went back about maybe 10 minutes later and the waste water had stopped running. The supply valve was still open.
    So I guess my asov is working fine. I think the system just needs a few good minutes to build up enough back pressure to for the asov to close of the waste water. Everything is ok here.
    Now if I could only get a "T" in between the RO membrane and the DI canister, then I'd have suitable drinking water and not have to buy countless plastic bottles.

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

some kind of diverter valve....pm, air water ice guys(sponsor, sorry if I messed up the name). they should have something!

I forgot to turn mine off tonight after filling up the sump and found after a few hours that I have a leak where the tubing connects to the bulkhead fitting and have been sopping up water from the carpet.... the bad thing is, under that carpet is the padding(glad I got the waterproof kind) and under that is particle board. the kind made in the 70's.......man I hope it doesn't swell! Oh and those Sham Wows work really good!

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Yeah, but I'll either take a ride to the newer home depot a few towns over, it's not worth the shipping for a few quick disconnect fittings. If not, I'll just wait and order them when I order the float valve from buckeye. Sump is a long way off - it's for the next tank.