Ro / DI on e-bay test results #1

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Malachi, Feb 9, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

WaterGeneral Reverse Osmosis+DI Water System Made in USA
    Model: RO6100DINT 6-stage 110 gal/day Reverse Osmosis Water System+DI filter (stand alone unit, no drinking faucet, no pressure tank)
    Item number: 2377994183

This is the system I got on e-bay, which seems to be the #1 RO/Di on e-bay. Test results after one week of us-

Tap Water results 162,000
    Filtered Water 21,000
    87%, which is not too bad after one week of use, the membrane is not fully broke in.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[​IMG]

Sure this has 6 separate filters but the most important filter next to the RO membrane is the DI filter and this unit has the smaller DI filter.

IMO this would not be that great for aquarium use.
    For one thing you will be changing the DI 3 times more then you would if you had the standard size DI.
    Your readings on a RO/DI filter with a TDS meter should read from 0 to 5 ppm to be listed as pure water.

Just food for thought.

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

IMO FYI Brand new should read 0 out of the box when using the TDS meter to read pure water.

5. gamma

gamma Spaghetti Worm

Ok, I have a stupid question: What's a TDS meter?

I just purchased a Kent Marine Hi-S 60gpd. I don't remember seeing anything about a TDS meter. Is this something else I need to get too?

6. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

THat is not actually ture, base of my experience with working with Membrane filtration it takes a break in period were the membrane must actually build a layer on it (skin) I have not tested my water to see what the TDS (Total Disolved Solids) since i took the original test. Will post an update to see if i am on crack or not. Also the unit is actually rather large, bigger then what i expected, i will also advise when it needs replaced.

FYI my work actually sells self cleaning strainers to protect Membrane Filters supplied by US Filter. So i am used to large industrial size membrane (Ro/DI) systems, up to 36" pipeline.

7. JOER0178

JOER0178 Peppermint Shrimp

TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids its a good thing to have to test your RO/DI water: TDS meter

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

This is true whit the Typhoon 5 stage membrane. Alot depends on the brand on membrane you have in the ro/di system.
    ro water should read 5 ppm to 10 ppm and with the added DI filter this should take it to 0 ppm to 5 pmm when testing with a TDS meter.
    what brand of TDS meter do you use? and is it factory calibrated?

After the 15 minutes of water through the unit mine and Nugios read 0 ppm.
    The flush system cleans the gunk off the membrane to keep it lasting longer which I feel is a plus.

10. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

It is a Pinpoint monitor, which is a few years old from my work. So it may not be 100% accurate and if it was factory calib. The new reading was 9K PPM.

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If your tap is under 200 ppm then your ro/di unit should be reading a very low TDS reading.
    My Tap runs around 260 ppm most of the time and I still get 0 readings from the produced water.
    Who made the membrane? mine is from FilmTec a dow company which I can say has done great for me.
    You are testing before you add to the tank right?

12. Malachi

Malachi Sea Dragon

Yes, on the pre-tank. I will have to grab the sheet and see who makes the filter.