RO/DI after setting for awhile?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by insanespain, Nov 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

My BRS RO/DI hasnt made water in 3 months, have I hurt it by letting it sit? Should I do anything before using it again? I honestly need to learn more about these units because I don't know much. Just hooked it up and used it.

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce PSL FL

Bruce PSL FL Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I would contact them, they have great customer service

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

You should use a RO or RO/DI system at least every 10-14 days to keep it fresh. When they are sitting around you are providing the perfect environment to grow nasties inside the unit. Carbon has removed any residual disinfectant like chlorine, you have warm non moving water inside and with clear housings you can get light inside. If there are any bacteria or viruses present in your water supply they could possibly grow and multiply so try to use it once every week or two and slush the first couple ounces to the drain just in case.

For now though, remove your DI cartridge or disconnect the line leading down from the RO membrane to the DI filter at the DI end and make a couple gallons of RO only water monitoring the TDS until it drops to its lowest point and stabilizes. Reinstall the DI and again make treated water monitoring the TDS making sure you now have 0 TDS. When not in use keep wate rin the housings and place thesystem in a climate controlled out of the way place away from bright lighting, dust and dirt and temperature extremes.

When you do your sediment and carbon block filter replacements at 6 months be sure to disinfect the system following the vendors recommendations or you can find my disinfection method on any of the reef forums with a quick search.

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Thanks, I was hoping you would chime in rat. It has been in a climate controlled dark area (mounted under the sink cabinet). I figured that it wasn't good on it, just stopped using it after I took my tank down and havent thought about it until someone was going to need to get some RO water from me. I will follow your instructions my friend.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If you don't plan on another tank soon why not use it for drinking water? You can remove the DI cartridge or disconnect it and use the RO only for great drinking and cooking water and keep the most expensive part fresh, the membrane, while enjoying the water. For $59 you can buy a complete add on drinking water kit from Welcome to Purely H2O! and still be able to use the DI for a reef in the future.