Risky Coral Mix?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by omard, Dec 7, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Anyone know of corals that should definitely not go in same tank together? - or source that might state so.

I don't mean just in near contact or "sweeper distance" - but not even in same tank.

Have read that some corals emit "toxins" that either inhibit growth or even may kill other coral types. - could be significant in a smaller tank (55 gal)

Am strongly beginning to suspect now that this is reason I have been absolutely unable to keep "colt" varieties alive for any length of time - a normally quite hardy coral - but as soon as they go into my tank, fall over and disintegrate after just couple of days. -

Only others I have in tank now are a "Bubble," "Pagoda," Yellow, Star & Sun Polyps --- all appear healthy and going strong.

Learned hard way about the "bubble" which wiped out a number of nice little "sponges" on my lr in its vicinity. Am keeping its "sweepers" in check by surrounding it a forest/wall of Halimeda algae (Halimeda opuntia) - which grows incredibly fast in my tank. - but could it be causing other problems.

Adding "corals" is expensive - and is the only thing that will be going in tank in future - would like to reduce "risks" if any "common" ones known.

Rgds,

OmarD

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i always thought the main thing was distance never thought of mixing them in the same tank would effect it. A really good book that will help with corals has just about anything you could want and it may help you is "Aquarium Corals" by Eric Borneman look for that and check that out

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thanks (and for other "responses also) Karla...

Book on order from Amazon.com.

In mean time, am not adding anything else to existing tank. & have also made decision to move to one with larger volumn (120 gal) in near future.

Those corals do not have to "touch" to make each other sick. Probably much more of a factor in a smaller tank.

OmarD

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

There are several "rules of thumb" that I use, but I'm not sure if they are backed by Fact. Just my experience.

Soft Coral uses Chemical attack or defense
    LPS uses stinging cells with sweepers
    SPS uses Stinging Cells and internal digestive enzymes

I have found some soft corals to be aggressive in terms of chemical warfare. Toadstool Leather and SPS don't seem to mix well. I removed a toadstool Leather and now SPS doing fine

Because of the nature of the LPS and SPS defenses the general water quality is not being effected even when war is waged.

These are my personal views with some background research but still my generalized conclusions

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I agree with pretty much everything that was said here. However, one time I rearranged my tank and problems went away. I had a coral that just doesn't like to be "downstream" of the prevailing current but was fine upstream of my sarcophyton. (It might be in my head though).

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

YOu know I am going through this right now myself with these frags.

My hammer, xenia, star polyps are happy but my leather and pink tree are grumpy. Both of which have taken a lot of abuse from me trying to secure them. I think I have FINALLY found the spot for them.  ::)

BUT, I do think the leather wasn't happy with the xenias, which managed to start sweeping him, so I moved the xenias. WHen they aren't happy, I move them, just like inwall was saying.

Maybe the leather will perk up - it started to before, then I knocked it down moving something else.  :p I've been real smooth lately.

I am pretty convinced though, that I should put my halide on, since I have the freaking thing and dump these PCs. Hmm... guess I'll do that right now. [smiley=anxious.gif]  WTH.

PS - Does anyone know if mixing issues with these corals? Chemical stuff?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ok, how's this look?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[move]Looks great Matt[/move]

Is that the Punisher?

J

11. Matt Rogers