Rinsing Oolitic Aragonite Sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Tyslin, Apr 14, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. palmbeauties

palmbeauties Plankton

I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and then put in my tank, added water very carfully and still a tank cloud. Having trouble clearing now to. I have a great filter but it is hard. I then removed some water and put more in and still a cloudy mess. How long before it clears pls. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

You should really weigh the difference in cost. I use only Caribsea Live Oolite. It's not messy as I put a cup in slowly at a time. It looks awesome. Why rinse, rinse and rinse and lose the elements that sand is designed to give you just to save a few dollars? Sometimes it's better to figure in the expense and save up a few more dollars and add it in later. You can always add Caribsea Live Oolite later as you see you can afford it. You can start out bare-bottomed if it be the case or buy 20 or 40 lbs to start. Hey good luck and I hope the tank turns out good.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

It will take a while to clear, but it won't hurt anything. Give it a few days, then clean your glass. You'll be fine. Be patient.

5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Tangster is right (yet again). :p hehe Rinsing away the fine dust may seem good, but you are washing away good elements. I put my sand in a cup and SLOWLY add it to my tank to lower the cloudiness in the tank. If you just dump it in haphazardly, then your tank will look like milk. Just go slow and it will be fine.

6. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I rinsed it once and just put it in once.

IMO the cloudyness can be helped without rinsing it just make a fresh batch of saltwater and really wet the sand down and add slowly then add water slowly and it traps the particals in it vs just having them float around.