Rinse or not to rinse that is the Question Drysand

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by fletch, Apr 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Re: Rinse or not to rinse that is the Question Dry

That was going to be my next question What type of goby would you suggest for the first one? but I didn't want to get off the topic . ;D I never had sand in my tank before I had crushed coral with a under gravel filter, keep in mind this was around 10 years ago. So with that setup I could not have a goby. I still have to do some reading on them before I go out and get one.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah good point! ;D

Here is a link from the 3reef links page:

http://uri.sakura.ne.jp/~dd/goby.htm

Read that and start a new thread. ;) :)

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Thank you for the link and I see you caught my drift on that Topic thing LOL ;D :-X

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Fire fish, although jumpers, are very cool looking Gobies.

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hi Craig, Yah I was looking at them on the link that Matt gave me. They are sharp looking fish. I still need to do some more reading on them but from what I got so far they will pretty much only eat live food like plankton. I think that is what it said? :-/ Will the fire fish dig in the sand also?

7. Craig Manoukian

Fire fish are not diggers like Watchman or Engineer Gobies.  They will take advantage of hiding places and the more of those, the less chance they will jump during their flight or fight response when startled.

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

How long do you think I should wait after my tank cycles before I add gobies, And do most gobies get along with one another?

10. Craig Manoukian

I recommend a full 8 week cycle and you need at least two weeks with the A-N-N at zero.  Then add 1 large or two small fish at a time, least aggressive to most aggressive.  Wait 3 - 4 weeks between fish to allow the dentrifying bacteria to stabilize.

Firefish school nicely, and should not compete with Watchman or Engineer Gobies.

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Sounds good So you can put more than 1 fire fish in a tank?
    I have 1 more question (for now) lol A little off topic but Do you ever give your new fish a short freshwater bath and kept in a quarantine tank for two to three weeks before introducing them into the main aquarium? I ask that because I got it from this sight http://www.seasky.org/aquarium/sea3e.html I can understand the quarantine part but the fresh water bath seems to me would cause more stress in an already stressed fish, with the netting and transport and all. [smiley=confused1.gif]

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

fletch...WHEN YOUR TANK IS READY!

Here is info on firefish from Saltwaterfish

Firefish Goby $12.99
    Free Shipping
    Nemateleotris magnifica

[​IMG]

The Firefish, a.k.a. Dartfish, is a magnificent little fish that's perfect for reef tanks. These fish have a white forebody and a "fiery" rearbody that is colored in a mix of red colors. The Firefish also has an elongated first dorsal spine that "jumps" up and down. These little fish have lots of personality and should be kept in a tank with lots of rockwork. The Firefish likes lots of crevices, caves, and overhangs where they can "hang" in place. These fish prefer to be kept in pairs and do well in the home aquarium. They are great for reef tanks and will accept most fish foods.These fish are also jumpers, so precautions should be taken to secure openings at the top of the aquarium.

The Dartfish family of fish are majestic little fish with an elongated body. They have long dorsal fins and small upturned mouths. This family of fish is usually found in pairs or small groups.

Size: 2-3 inches
    Care Level: Easy
    Temperament: Peaceful
    Reef Safe: Yes
    Diet: Pellet, Flake, Brine
    Origin: Indian Ocean
    Acclimation Time: 3+ hours

They are "jumpers"

Lovely critter! ;)

I don't have one - am holding out for a pair of citron clown (gobies) ...

Rgds,

OmarD