Rinse live sand?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by Pepperyfox, Mar 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pepperyfox

Pepperyfox Skunk Shrimp

I am trying to get a 180 gal up and running and have 120 pounds of Fiji pink live sand. Now am I supposed to rinse this stuff before I put it in the tank? I am starting from scratch and plan on cycling some dead rock and such. Am I really supposed to rinse 120 pounds of live sand with saltwater?? If so, what is the best way to go about this.. I'm really not in a hurry.

Thanks!
    -Pepper

2. Click Here!

3. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

No, do not rinse the live sand it would kill it. Just put the sand in first, put a small container in there ontop of the sand and pump water into the container so it doesn't splash around and lift up the sand as much.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

No, you do not rinse live sand. The more you handle it, the more die-off you'll get. It will cloud the water, but that will clear long before you're ready for livestock.

EDIT: Devin beat me to the punch. What he said. :D

5. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

Definitely do not rinse it!

6. Pepperyfox

Pepperyfox Skunk Shrimp

Thanks so much guys! One less thing to worry about!

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I think what most people mean when they say "Rinse it" is to rinse it in salt water and remove any stagnant particulate that may be present. Biggest problem with that is, most of don't live near an ocean to have that much rinse water....

If you have the patience like you say, then simply placing the sand in your tank, filling the salt water up, and mixing the sand in the healthy salty water will ensure you don't have anything settled in the sand bed. From what I've learned, sulfur is a bad item that can sit for some time if undisturbed.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It kind of depends on the grain size.

Fine sands will cloud a tank for days and become cloudy with any disruption of the sand bed.

Rinse or not rinse, you still have to cycle the whole tank regardless. Live Sand, is more gimmick an than actually contributor to the biological filter.

You will do far better with some completely cured live rock.

JM2C

10. lyal

lyal Astrea Snail

I've always just put the livesand down and then thrown a bunch of filter floss somewhere in the flow. Will clear the water faster than a day at the expense of some of the finer grit.

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

at least in my experience, that's one of the benefits to getting live sand is not having to rinse it :) and creates less of a cloud when put in the tank.....