Rimless overflow question

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by telamont, Aug 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. telamont

telamont Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was thinking of building my own tank and the one piece of glass I need to order has to have two holes drilled in it one for return and one for overflow. My question is:

What would my overflow consist of if I just drilled a hole in the back wall of the tank for a bulkhead? Is there a best aesthetically pleasing way of accomplishing this? Anyone know? Should I black the back piece of glass that is drilled?

I like the idea of a rimless tank with a 4 sided view with no piping in sight. Could I accomplish this with some overflow and return built in through the bottom of the tank?

This is going to be fun.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Click Here!

3. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Look into the bean animal overflow system. 3 holes for the overflow and 1 (or more) for the return.
    You can make it practiclly invisible from the front with a coast to coast design...
    And, you can order a glass hole saw and drill them yourself...
    You will need two pieces of GLASS for a coast to coast overflow.

4. telamont

telamont Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks that's one option.
    How about any ideas for rimless with an overflow and return but the tank also has a 4 sided view clear of pipes. I'd have to create some kind of return and overflow built in throug the bottom I assume. But even then hiding the overflow and return from vision im not sure how I'd do it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  5. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

I dont think your going to be able to hide the overflow much better than bean animal overflow.

Another option is to buy a kit from glass-holes.com, they have black overflow boxes and if your back glass is black it will blend right it... still visible of course but not "ugly"

7. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

if you want to have a tabk visible on all sides drill the bottom of the tank and put a square pillar in the center as an overflow and you can have the returns plumbed right into it as well.....take a look at reef bruh's build