Rimless Aquariums

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Seano Hermano, May 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

When a company makes a rimless aquarium, do they use a special kind(stronger, maybe?) of silicone - or is it the same stuff as normal? Do you run a higher risk of the tank failing if it is rimless than a standard tank that has a frame?

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I believe silicone is the same, glass width is different.

I ordered a custom 48"x24"x20" from miracles in canada. three sides starfire glass and they will be using 1/2" glass for all 4 sides. I asked about if 1/2" was enough and they said they shoot for a safety factor of 3.8 and 1/2" glass made the safety factor 5. I think failing really depends on the quality of a build. Some rimmed tanks fail all the time.

4. Seano Hermano

OK. I really wasn't sure. But of course any bad quality tank will fail. I just wasn't sure f there was a correlation with rimless tanks that isn't there for framed tanks and the answer is no.

I was thinking about a coffee table tank - or maybe a 112 rimless for my next tank.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Contact miracles aquariums in canada for a qoute. They make great tanks and Derek is a cool guy.

For my 48x24x20 with 3 sides starphire glass, center overflow with 3 holes drilled, and shipping from canada to WV, I paid $1155. I felt that was reasonable considering freight shipping isn't cheap.

6. Seano Hermano

The 112 would be 60 L x 24 W x 18 H. A center BeanAnimal overflow would be nice.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

They'll probably want to use 3/4" glass on a tank that long if not 1". Elos and leemar are two other good high quality custom tank building companies worth looking in to.

Would you build the tank yourself?

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

OK. I'd consider it. But I don't know how far down the road this would be.

10. saltysupply

saltysupply 3reef Sponsor

generally there is thicker glass involved