Resolved Right side of filter system lower and not over flowing?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Rogues, Nov 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I can't extract enough information about your system to give you a worthwhile reply, I'm afraid, as Screwtape mentions, we'd have to know a lot more details that what's provided to respond appropriately.

I can say this, however. A properly designed system has fluctuations in water level in only one place. Think of it this way. A baffle or overflow box maintains water level. You with me so far? So the water level in a fish tank should never fluctuate. Even when topoff water is added, the overflow box or overflow chamber will keep the water level in one place. The same goes for a properly designed sump. It necessarily has baffles for two reasons: the first is to maintain water levels for the skimmer and any other sections present in the sump; and the second is to prevent bubbles from re-entering the DT.

This leaves one place where water levels CAN fluctuate. This is the return compartment of the sump. This is the place where the return pump is. Water is SUPPOSED to fluctuate in this area due to evaporation. Only evaporation should cause water to fluctuate here. If the water level is sucked dry when the power comes back on after a power outage, for example--then water is being unnecessarily restricted by filter media. I can't tell from your pictures or information, but this might be your issue--I don't know though.

If your return pump is pumping air under "normal" conditions (like when you DO have enough water in the system and you're NOT in a power outage period) then as GuitarMan89 said, you might have to get rid of some of the filter material you have in the sump or wet/dry. All that's necessary is some filter floss. You have 3 different levels of filter material: floss, then DLS (as they used to call it--that coiled up roll of floss with the black material holding it in a spiral), then a layer of shells, or crushed coral. If you have ample water movement, then IMO this 3 layer approach of yours is only going to restrict water flow and be more of a hindrance than plus to your system. Aditionally it's going to become gunked up over time, and require far too much maintenance from you.

IMO, again without knowing exactly what your problem is, I'd lose most of your mechanical filtration and replace it with one, single, simple layer of filter floss. I think you'll be glad you did.

Good luck! :)

2. Click Here!

3. Rogues

Rogues Spaghetti Worm

I think I'll just have to buy a new pumping system when I have the cash to do so thanks everyone consider this thread closed. I'm too new right now to know what i'm dealing with and need to read up on pumping systems :(