Ricordias

Discussion in 'Frags' started by meagan1823, Nov 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

Ricordea's are not actual mushroom's. I was told they fit into the Anemone family. True or not I am not sure. But they will spread rather quickly in good water condition's. And they are only 5 bux a head around here.

2. Click Here!

3. 10001110101

10001110101 Fire Worm

well actually i think ALL corals are anemone's technically speaking... just colonial anemones, ricordeas being closer to anemones in that each polyp is separate, but it doesn't move like a true anemone and grows semi-colonially (don't know the word for that)

easy to frag though, cut into two or four pieces like a pizza, you can cut them off the rock or leave them on, your preference, but just make sure each new frag has a piece of the mouth, not 100 percent necessary but if they each have a piece of the mouth their survival rate is close to 100 percent.

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hi Meagan, It’s been a long time since I was fragging my corals – but I do admit it was fun.

Ricordia is a wonderful coral that’s relatively simple to frag and generally hardy. When I first started I asked plenty of questions online and researched here: Geothermal Aquaculture Research Foundation

The challenge with Ricodia is getting the pieces to reattach, using bridal vail and a rubberband works but it will be a while. Have you watched your Ricordia separate naturally over time? Garf.org has some great pictures on the Ricordia propagation page of this.

The simplest way is to leave the Ricordia attached where it is and slice it in half – it will then become two shroom’s and you do not need to concern yourself with reattaching it. No matter how you go about it, take pictures and keep us posted !

5. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have had my ricordia for several months and there doesn't seem to be any growth and definently no splitting.
    I guess it doesn't like my tank.

Also, everyone says mushrooms spread like crazy but mine havn't reproduced at all.

6. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ewww not really sure that u even have a ricordia until we see some pics =]

7. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster