ricordia/ricordia yuma

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Row2fer, Dec 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

Not for nothing, but yumas are much more sought after than floridas. They also come in a much greater vareity of intense colors like bright red, pink, purple and green, etc etc. They usually go for much more than floridas as well. At the wholesale level a single yuma polyp can go 4 or even 6 times more than a single florida polyp.

As far as moving in the tank. I wouldn't think they can go on a walkabout in a tank like an anemone would. Moving a little this way or that to account for better lighting from a different angle sure, but other than that I don't think so.

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

hmmm, that may be true where your from, but around here the yuma selection is just terrible/less expensive. florida rics are where its at for color, and looks ;D........ and my PERSONAL opinion is the same, ive never seen a yuma more brightly colored that a florida before.

4. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

OK I'm sorry, I didn't see where you wrote you were talking about where you're from. However I was talking more on a national scale online as that's where I have most of my experience.

A quick google image search on ricordea yuma brings up really stunning specimens and I'm pretty confident if you were to start looking online at places that sell florida and yuma you'd find a great difference in price per polyp. For example, $12 for a polyp of orange ricordea florida vs $100 for a single polyp of red ricordea yuma. The price difference isn't simply because of the distance from where they're collected. It's mostly demand driven.

I've got some pictures laying around, I'll have to post some when I have a minute.

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

ah i see, yes they do go for more but like i said, Wisconsin has never had a good yuma selection, hardly see them in stores a few times a year and when you do, blah! so bland.