Ricordea Splitting pics

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by offensetaken, Oct 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crazy reef love

crazy reef love Skunk Shrimp

The way how ricordea florida split is differently opposed to that of ricordea yuma? Is this true?

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Very true. Rics split, as you can see here, whereas Yuma's "drop" babies, for a lack of a better expression. I don't really know the exact mechanism, but with Yuma's you'll see a new mouth forming on a new spot on the rock under the old polyp.

To the OP, this process can take months to complete, FYI.

4. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

To the OP, this process can take months to complete, FYI.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up Evolved. I read that it could take up to 2 weeks or so. It's deffinantly taking it's time LOL.

5. albertthiel

albertthiel Plankton

Old thread I know but just to clarify that mine did both : Yuma threw off babies and I now have 4 that are growing well ... and the I have one that is now a teen as it has been around for a while and that one grew when a portion of the foot that is attached to a piece of rock split off the main part and a new Yuma grew from it and it is now about 3/4 inch in size and has exactly the same appearance as the large one with tentacles and mouth and all that it should have. So it would appear that R. yuma can reproduce both ways.