Review: Eheim aquastyle 35

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Arc Katana, Mar 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Hey Too -

Well the stock light will keep them alive - but it certainly lacks on the blue department. The lighting is rated at 6500 or 6700K. It works but you'll lose color. I tested out some yellow zoas - here's a pic of the two shades. The darker brown ones you see were the only polyps to pop out, hence the color. I took the LED off because I needed some room for ricordea (using dual T5 with ATI Aquablue and blue plus on a 24" fixture).

Ill post pics tomorrow - batteries just died taking pics of the zoa!

Suffice to say - macro is doing great, coral is living, but brown as it tries to make more zooanxthae (spelling) to cope with light. Needs more blue.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sorry to hear about that - I was curious about it as it said 6500k in the print material - however the vids showed some bluer light. I know they are working on a reef version - that will probably address this. That said, I used to have a 6500k Iwaski halide setup - I know things will grow in that range - just yellow looking light.

4. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Found a great low cost (comparatively!) solution: 6W Stunner strips. I added one blue strip (453 rating) that is 11.5" long. The difference is AMAZING. Pics tonight when I actually go out and get some batteries (and finish this water change!)

5. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Thats a good idea AC, good to have you back among us!

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. Look forward to seeing that. 8)

7. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

With standard LED

[​IMG]

With (mostly) just 6w blue stunner (washed out a bit from camera)
    [​IMG]

Both together:
    [​IMG]

I added an eheim 40-80GPH powerhead for more flow (have it set in the middle for about 60GPH) so I'm turning over about 11-12 times per hour now. 13 Total watts of LEDS.

8. Click Here!

9. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Question, why add sand after salt mixes? Why not add sand to the empty tank, then gently add water?

Thanks.

P.S. Oh, i think i figured it out. You said _live_ sand.

10. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

Yep - added live sand. While I could have just put the sand and then mixed the salt (the amount of bacteria I would have lost would have been almost nothing), It just seemed easier at the time.

That and I wanted to see what the light would look like with water in it :)

11. Arc Katana

Arc Katana Fire Worm

After being up a little over a month, replacing the LED fixture (Just stopped working) trying to add chemipure/purigen/carbon into the filter I've taken the tank down. For running saltwater, I'm sorry to say it just doesn't cut it.

I even went so far to get two LED panorama exocotic fixtures for it, and added a small powerhead for more flow. I think the only way to make this work as a nano tank would be to throw out the filter/lights that come with it and replace them with something else.
    And if you're going to be doing that, there are much cheaper tanks out there that do work.

So while I had high hopes it just doesn't hold the mustard.

12. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

dang that sucks to hear, I saw a random pic of that filter and thought it looked cool, I guess thats all though :p sry to hear that