Reverse Durso Application and Construction

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by diverdan, May 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

If you follow Dursos instructions and use 1 1/4" sch. 20 for the unit itself as well as the plumbing below the bulk head, and the instructions on tuning it (multiple small holes in the cap vs. a single large one), you will not have excess air or any noise to begin with. Even if you have a 1" bulk head.
    My 90 had a DIY Durso and I used his plans for building and tuning it. It was the most silent overflow I've ever used and never caused excess air in the sump.

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

That's great that you have a totally silent drain system and the dursos worked great for you. Unfortunately my overflow did not have room for 2 Durso or even modified dursos so I had to go with 2 stockmans. I did the multiple holes in the cap to adjust the flow to air ratio and still had noise issues as I've seen multiple other reefers do as well. That is why this thread was created to help those who do have the issue because this works and it is something I wanted to share.

4. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'll also add that I set up my system exactly as the directions were laid out... and had noise that was higher than I wanted. I now have it quite enough I enjoy it.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

DD,

NICe write up! It's basically exactly what I was suggesting when you needed to decrease the noise you were having to your sump. Nice work on passing along tried and true devices to help us in our hobby. Precisely what I was doing when I asked you to look into this, and I'm glad you did, cause I knew it would work.
    Again- nice work, and nice write up with good pics!

And my screen name is Todd_Sails - 'cause I sail/race catamarans sailboats,
    not Toddsnails.

6. diverdan

Thanks Todd! I totally believe in this devise and glad you mentioned it to me. That is why I wrote this up, because it works and now when someone searches the site they have something to go off of.

I definitely get that, that is only your user name. I guess it just came out wrong. I'll fix it. I had a feeling your last name wasn't snails. Lol.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

And then Dan, if you truly want a silent bubleless overflow, do a Herbie. One of the best mods I ever did. ;)

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

From what I see I don't have room. I have a hob type overflow and almost no room for anything but a stockman. I have 2 stockmans in there and tried a modded Durso and it didn't fit. (To big) if I had a drilled tank then definitely.

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Got it. So have you got this dialed in and working good for you?

11. diverdan

Almost. Thanks. One of my Stockmans needs another hole in the cap to stop the water from being sucked in but I just haven't gotten to it, reverse dursos are silent and not bubbling noise or splashing. Now I hear my skimmer sucking air. Time to DIY air silencer for my g2.
    On another note, sometimes I kick myself in the ... For not drilling my tank. I didn't spend enough time on this forum to learn about drilling and set it up the best I could with what i knew. Right now I'm working with what I have till the next upgrade.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

+1

While I really like my DIY 'intank overflow', my 'next tank' will be RR. If not, I'll drill it and add a C to C overflow, etc.