Return pump for DT water movement?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Seano Hermano, Nov 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

So, we are all trying to get water movement within our display tanks. We (or some of us with sps) want high flow, while still having an aesthetically pleasing reef tank. Many people opt for the vortech pumps. These certainly do the trick, but for the same price, why not get a larger return pump with no powerheads/prop pumps in the display at all?

Can a return pump be used as the sole water movement within the display tank? Are there any cons to this? People say sump turnover should be low(4-6x), as it has no extra benefit to be high...but would there be a problem with it being higher, if you are doing it for the purpose of surface tension in the display? As we have seen with the vortech pumps, it's not so much about high velocity (flow "rate"), but turbulence, of water for air/gas exchange and wave action for water movement.

2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I was under the assumption that movement solely in the DT, ie...power heads, was to keep dead spots to a minimum....I suppose if you could get enough flow from your return pump, then split the flow to both sides of the tank and aim them back into each other, you'd be producing the same effect as the power heads, alleviating the need to purchase any in the first place. If you wanted to have a slow flow Fuge you could 'Y' off a separate valve and control water speed to that area in the sump.
    I suppose that method would really minimize the amount of stuff in the display. Sounds like it's worth a try. Are you planning to do this, or just pondering. Cause if you are I hope you get some good pics ;D I smell a project on the rise.......::)

4. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

No reason you can't keep the sump at normal rates and use external closed loops for moving water. One thing that stands out is that these pumps chew up the power.
    Compare a 3200gph powerhead at 48watts with a external pump of the same will go into the 500watt range. Other than that, you could use a couple of Quiet One pumps, instead of using just one return. This will definaltely get you your flow, and by using loc-line you can direct the flow also. But I would not split the pumps return line more than once. 2 Quiet One pumps on each end of the tank split once so you have 4 lines, you could get quite a bit of flow and not have the unsightly powerheads in there. Initail cost of the pumps up front is another factor.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Too high of flow through the sump can reduce skimmer efficiency. Micro bubbles become a concern also. You then add the cost of electricity since power heads use far less energy to create flow. Less heat is generated in the system with power heads than large pumps.

6. Seano Hermano

Thanks for the replies.

Pondering at the moment...for far future builds. Sorry. lol.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

You do not want to use return pumps. You take a huge power hit to gravity. It's a very very inefficient way to move water. Adn all theat heat will be added to the tank... which could very well push you over the edge for a chiller using more power and needing another pump.

Closed loops save power by being closed as opposed to open like a sump. The suck off the same vessel they are pumping too. But they too use a ton of power compared to power heads. And you still have to direct all the flow. Some folks don't like closed loops because it adds to complexity, expense and yes more power. But if you do want to use that type of setup, it is the only way to go compared to open.

I get many people don't want to look at power heads... but it is what it is. It's a glass box with water keeping things alive in your living room far far away from their natural habitat. As far as life support systems, it should be as simple, energy efficient, and yes aesthetically pleasing as possible. I just put more emphasis on the first two, and there are other thing I care about besides power heads for the last... tank, stand, lights, clean power supply, no noise.

Only use the right amount of flow in the sump to supply your equipment in it and get the proper size pump to do that. Don't even bother adding it in as water movement for display tank... use a closed loop to move water in a display tank... but once you see the size of pump you need to move enough water, then you will see why 90% of people use power heads.

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Seeing all the above posts, I see the essential need for power heads. Gravity is a SOB that, unfortunately, never stops working. Another idea would be to disguise the PwHd and hide it in the rock work. You'd only then have a black power chord to hide maybe behind some more rock build in the corner. I could only now imagine the noise such a large return pump would make pushing up all that weight. I hate to be a flopper, but I don't like the idea of all that sound from just one pump.

10. Seano Hermano

That's true, I forgot about all the noise.

Just thinking here...instead of a larger pump, what about a device that goes on the end of a return line/box. Similar to how a pool overflow works? Just turn the design around so it would be for the return?

[​IMG]

11. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

This is why i paint my backgrounds black. Its obviously not completely hiding it but, at a distance it isnt really as noticable as lets say no background or a blue one. Your eye is naturally trained to pick out that contrast and black imo helps mask it a tad..

12. Seano Hermano

Yeah, my background is painted black. I was just thinking of ideas to change water movement, for a possible future tank build.