Return pump and sump height info needed

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by nanomania, Dec 25, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

54"x24"x24" is approximately 130 gallons capacity. An Eheim 1262 is rated at 900 GPH open discharge and right at 800 GPH at 4 feet of head. I have always preferred to keep my return pump in the 5x the display volume capacity so 5x130= 650 GPH which should be right in line at 4.5 feet of head. I have always found Eheim to be a little conservative in the GPH and head capabilities so it may be slightly more if plumbed for minimal headloss. Always install a ball or gate valve on the discharge side of the return pump so you can throttle back or fine tune the flow a little if needed so the overflow, standpipe and sump function efficiently and quietly.

nanomania likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Thanks alot brother... so eheim 1262 is the right pump for me

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

If you have access to Eheims then that would be my choice. Many years ago I did a pump review of many different pumps for another reef forum and the Eheim and Ocean Runner pumps were the best at the time. Today there are many more choices but both are still very efficient and very reliable pumps. If you can get them, you might also look at some of the new DC powered controllable pumps such as the Jebao or Jecod brand. Ive been using their controllable powerheads/wavemakers for several years and have been very happy with them.

nanomania likes this.
  5. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Yes i can call for jebao feom fishstreet. but does the controller has the reading of lph or gph?

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Dosen't really matter, and there are no volume ratings on the controller.

Just set it where you have the flow right for your overflows, noise, etc.

nanomania likes this.