Return pump advise for 180 gallon

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by KillaKawi450, Feb 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

That's a decision you need to make after doing some homework and really know what your getting into. There will never be a clear cut answer. It seems like everyday I read of "something new" that makes me want to tear apart my tank and start over. There are lots of U-tube videos that has a lot of good information. Look into Mrsaltwatertv U-tube videos he has a bunch. Some might find it lame, but find out what your "tank personality" is. It made sense to me. Check out vividaquariums.com has a ton of good videos up now.

You really need to think and research every single piece of equipment that goes on your tank.

2. Click Here!

3. KillaKawi450

KillaKawi450 Astrea Snail

Yeah I have been watching a lot of videos. I will check both of those channels out. It seems like there are a lot of different opinions and a lot of people running successful tanks differently.
    I think doing research is half the fun of it. I will keep doing my homework and try to learn as I go.
    I am just trying to not make costly mistakes lol.

I really appreciate the feedback.

4. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

Exactly! everyone is going to tell you something different. That's the beauty of it all. Find out what worked for you and then you can tell your story.

5. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

With my 180 I run about 500 gph thru the sump ( about 3x the DT turnover). Getting a return pump that will do 800- 1000 gph at 0 ft of head would be good and install a ball valve at the exit side to fine tune

6. KillaKawi450

Hello

I have decided to return my Eshopps sump and use a 75 gallon aquarium instead. Twice the size for half the money sounds like a better option.
    Now I just have to figure out what pump to go with? I am thinking a mag drive 12 or 18.
    Which would be a better option at 5ft head?
    Does it hurt a pump if you use a valve to turn down the flow if needed?

7. azjohnny

azjohnny Bristle Worm

Pumps that would work for you

Ehiem 1262
    Sicce 5
    Water blaster 5000
    Laguna Max Flo 1500

And it does no harm to a pump to valve back and it will reduce the power usage

8. Click Here!

9. KillaKawi450

Thanks for your help everyone!
    I ended up getting my 75 gallon sump built and I ordered 2 mag drive 7 pumps. Hopefully they will be enough.

Now I need to start plumbing.
    A few questions?
    What size pipe do I need?
    I ordered two Aqueon overflow accessory kits. They have not arrived yet but I think it said it comes with a 1" drain and 3/4" return?
    Does anyone know for sure what size the bulkheads are?
    I believe the mag drive pumps are 1/2.
    Do I run 1/2" from the pump and increase it to 3/4" at the bulkhead or run a 3/4" from the pump to the bulkhead.

Thanks for the help!