Retail light vs DIY

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by NiNeX, May 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NiNeX

NiNeX Astrea Snail

Alright so I have decided on going with 2-250 MH with 2-T5 actinics for my tank.

Now the final decision that I am stuck on, should I buy the Aquactinic MH/T5 Classic system or put together my own ballast/reflector combo?

Aquactinic light is about $1200 and runs off of a M58 for the MH, includes moonlights and looks pretty great. https://diyreef.authsecure.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=55_124&products_id=681

System that I would put together would be;
    Dual PFO HQI M80s with LumenArc 3 mini reflectors, using XM 10k SE bulbs
    Icecap 660 with icecap reflector driving 2-T5 actinic

So far that is about $800 but no glass covers, fans, or other things to finish it up, I'd estimate mine would be about 1000 - 1100 after completed.

I know that the M80 will outperform the M58 and I have chosen a better T5 ballast since I can overdrive the lamps, just with the price so close, I'm not sure which to go with. Also I have never seen the aquactinic light in person, only photos but it is highly rated for the price.

Well that is about it, been racking by brain over which lighting system to get for the past couple of weeks.

2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

if you go check out Marine Depot you can buy 250 DIY MH kits for $89 each, reflectors for $34 each, about $30 in cord from local home inprovement shop, VHO kit with 4 bulbs (icecap ballast) for $300 including the bulbs, and some clip on fans for $6 each. I come up with about $600 worth of stuff. I've used all of this on my personal tank and love it.

Hope this helps...

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

also suggest pm'ing tangster, he can usually get you a heck of a deal on DIY lighting stuff I'll be buying a new pair of MH and acintics from him shortly hopefully

5. NiNeX

NiNeX Astrea Snail

KOgle: Marine depot was where I got most of my prices. If I do a DIY system I was going with the best system I can put together, more expensive than it had to be but way better PAR numbers then the cheaper DIY components. Lots of reading on sanjay's site for the reflector/bulb/ballast. The PFO ballast is the most expensive piece at about $350 but for the price you get a lot more PAR out of the XM bulb over running a cheaper icecap 250 that was reviewed by sanjay.

Either lighting system is still way cheaper then the LED system I was looking at so price is secondary in the decision to the best options and PAR/watt that I can run.

When I get home I'll put up a picture of the tank, you'll have to ignore the shop light fixture I'm currently running. :cry:

6. NiNeX

NiNeX Astrea Snail

Well here is the photo of the tank.

[​IMG]

7. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

DUDE 1200 for lights is ALOT. Do what Kogle mentioned and piece together components. What i did and i got 2x250 watt halides for around 100 bux.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

yeah my whole DIY setup is going to be around 600 with lunars, acintics, and 2x 250w MH, it's not that hard to put it all in a canopy

10. NiNeX

NiNeX Astrea Snail

so far this is my list for a diy setup, numbers are rounded up.
    2-lumenarc 3 mini w/PFO plug - $250
    PFO dual HQI 250 Ballast - $335
    2-XM 10k 250 SE bulbs - $170
    2 lamp 4' Icecap T5 Retro Kit w/660 ballast and reflectors - $245
    2-PFO 1watt moonlight LED flat mount - $100

then there will be the incidentals of fans, I was thinking of getting some extra large heat sinks to attach to the mh reflectors to keep heat from building up in the canopy, glass splash guards. For the canopy I was debating on making it so the MH could independently have their heights adjusted to allow more controll over the lighting of the tank, and posibly lining the whole inside with aluminum, but i'm still making different sketches on how I want the canopy to be functional for myself.

1 person likes this.
  11. glassbox-design

glassbox-design Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

NiNex-

I applaud you for doing your research, and the lighting you've proposed will definitely out perform the Aquactinics unit. If using SE bulbs a glass shield is not needed for UV cut as it is already included in the outer envelope of the bulb. I read you wanted it for splash, instead I would suggest raising the lights an inch or two higher... minor occasional splash/mist will not cause any harm... and you will have better penetration without the glass.

If you can hide it, a clip on fan from Target will suffice.

What is the depth of your tank from front to back? Another reflector to consider are the Lumen Brights and the the new Lumen Max 3's that will be out in about 6 weeks.

JMO, but I would go with a triad/VS ballast for the T5s and drive them normally. You will have plenty of PAR with the halides, and the extra electric consumption and quicker bulb wear make it not worth it in my view.

I would also scrap the 1w PFO Moonlights... I have not been impressed with them; extremely over priced. There are much better LEDs available.

HTH.

12. NiNeX

NiNeX Astrea Snail

The tank is 18" front to back, thus the LA3 mini , even with that I will be over by a tiny bit with the T5 reflectors but the canopy will hide it.

Which LEDs would you use for moonlights? I liked one Neptune ones, but you have to have their controller, and I am not quite ready for one of those at this point.