[Resolved] Heater not doing its job

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Brennan, Jan 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

i have a Jager 250w heater and a 250w Marineland stealth pro heater in my open top 60g tank and the tank will not get higher then 76 degrees, I have the Jager set at 79 and the stealth at 78 and its not helping. Please tell me I am just doing something wrong here

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Are they placed where they get decent flow?

4. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Yes they are, that was the first thing I addressed but it doesnt seem to be helping

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i have the same problem i put my marineland heater at 76 and the temperature is it 72 but then again its not near the filter and i have no powerhead lol my LR covers it up

6. accentstencil

accentstencil Bristle Worm

Have you tried increasing the temperature on the heaters because the thermostats might not be as accurate as you expect?

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What is the temperature in the room?

8. Click Here!

9. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

About 72ish, it is an open top tank too. I am going to put both heaters at 80 and see how much it goes up, if its not enough I will just fiddle with them till I get the temp i want

10. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Okay so nothing has worked so far, would it be better to put both heaters in my sump? It has about 225gph running through it which is 4x turnover of my tank, is that enough flow for the heaters to accurately heat the water? or would it be better to just add a 3rd powerhead pointed at the heaters to increase flow?

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Have you tried a new thermometer? Get an alcohol thermometer (old school) they are still better than the digital and paste on thermometers.

12. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Yes I did, I took the thermometer from one of my other tanks and compared them. They got the same exact reading.