Requirements for SPS???

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by aquariaman, Dec 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

How hard to care for SPS coral compared to LPS.

1. Never had SPS before.

10 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. 1

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  3. 2

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. 3

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. 4

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. 5

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  7. 6

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. 7

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  9. 8

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  10. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 10!

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I currently use API. But my tank isn't set up right now. My LFS says the API test kits for reefs aren't all that accurate. I've heard that a bit on here as well. I may switch to red Rea &/or Salifert.

2. Click Here!

3. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

Yea, thanks dingo! As you can see my Calcium and Alk raised from this week to last with just 2 dosing of "Kent Marine Superbuffer-dKH." Should i continue this?

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I have the Red Sea, kit, its OK IMO

But I also have the Salifert kit (I like double checking suspect results)
    and the Salifert kit is easier to use IMO

Steve

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

and to contribute on the thread

when I 1st started with SPS , I figured they are about an 8,
    the longer you keep them, the lower that figure would get

once you are familiar with the conditions required
    are able to provide those conditions
    are able to maintain those conditions
    are able to define the causes of any problems you have
    and are able to take the corrective actions required to fix those problems

then the 8 comes down to 7, 6, 5 etc etc

SPS as a 1st step for a beginner would be an 8 or higher
    SPS for someone with a few years experience in soft corals would not be an 8

learning the basics of water chemistry, maintenance, testing, reacting etc with soft corals, provides a good foundation of knowledge with which you can advance from

Steve

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

yes. are you only adding the dkh supplement? because Ca and Alk are inversely proportional... meaning that if you add Alk then your Ca will slightly drop. if you add Ca then your Alk will slightly drop.

The correct process to dial in a tank is to do this: (its very complicated because its a circular process that has many connections lol. but heres the simple version)
    First raise your Mag to desired level (approx 3.1 times the desired level of Ca)

Keeping a higher Mag will allow you to have more Ca in suspension at one time later on by acting as a buffer to the Ca, thus in turn keeping your Alk higher.

Second dial in your Alk and get it to your desired level and keep it stable at desired level.

Lastly dial in your Ca to desired level (Mag/3.1=Ca). Now if done correctly, your levels will be in perfect harmony.

Keep in mind that after you get the hang of this you will not necessarily have to test Ca that often. Since it is a cyclic process, you can test your Alk and if you keep it pretty stable your Ca will not fluctuate too much. (granted you are adding close to the correct amount of Ca that is consumed daily)

If you have a fluctuation in Mag on day one you will see a change in your Alk on day 2 and then lastly a change in your Ca on day 3, all repercussions from this fluctuation in Mag.

1 person likes this.
  7. aquariaman

Yea i have had the tank for a couple of years so this is not my first rodeo! Just never tried SPS. I WANT TO SOOOO BAD!!!! Whats holding me back is i tried one a couple months ago and didn't go the way i planned. ha,ha! We all know how that one ends. What is a good hardy pump that i can put in my 70 to get some circulation going? I have a pretty big hydro powerhead in there right now but i don't think thats going to do the job!

8. Click Here!

9. aquariaman

Do you think that there are any easier ways than that? That looks very complicated. haha....always looking for the short cuts :)

10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Koralia, vortech, tunze, and coralife has recently released their version of the wavemakers also. I would recommend two Koralia 2's or 3's for a mixed 70g.

It is complicated... but if you want to do the lazy way, you can just add some Ca in the morning and some Alk at night then test for when they go down. this way is really ineffective though.

Or you can put in a Ca reactor
    Or regular water changes will suffice at first with but will later need to be supplemented when your sps get larger

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Whaa'?

1 person likes this.
  12. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Requirements for SPS....... the ability to watch a handful of cash disappear overnight, and then do it again.

Control of phosphate levels is the hardest part IMO. Just about everything food you put in has some in it. If you have a heavy bioload, keeping your params in check gets tricky.
    A softie / leather tank takes absolutely 0 work. Empty the skimmer and you are done.
    A SPS tank is more hands on. Check levels, do water changes, dose or maintain CA / Kalk reactors, Constantly run carbon (especially if you have a leather).

It is fairly easy once you get the hang of it, but is very daunting when you first start.