Replacing sand and storage

Discussion in 'Sand' started by PghSteeler, Apr 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Hey guys just a quick question. In my 46gal I originally had about 40lbs. Obviously it was not a DSB by any means but over the last year I have sucked enough sand out from cyano cleaning and what not that it was only about a 1/2 inch in some spots to maybe 1.5inches in others. Having a wrasse I really wanted to add some more so bought 7.5 lbs of dry sand that I cleaned and rinsed real well and added to the shallow side of the tank covering a little under 50% of the current sand bed.

1) Since it was so shallow to begin with and I did not cover the whole sandbed should I be concerned at all about small nutrient spikes?

2) How long should I wait for it to colonize before covering the other half?

3) I ended up not using all 7.5 lbs and have the remaining in a 5gal bucket. Enough to make a 1-2inch sandbed in the bucket. How should I store it? Fill it up halfway with fresh water and cover tightly? Try to dry it out? or just ditch it and spend the few bucks on fresh sand when Im ready again?

2. Click Here!

3. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

4. tunamike

tunamike Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think I would try to dry it out and store it that way sealed once dry... To keep as clean and sterile as possible.... But for the other questions I have no idea I'm following to see how it goes as I need to do the same!!! I just got a bunch of dry sand to replenish my 75 display and for my nano re-build.... How did you add the sand in.... Funnel it in through poly hose? This is where I'm at a loss... Or just siphon the sand into the tank w/salt h2o?

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

I mixed some sw into the sand and used a funnel and turkey baster with the bulb taken off to place t where I wanted it. Did it during a wc so the water level was down some to make it easier