Replacing Bio-balls and ceramic rings w/ LR?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by QTYPIE424, Nov 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sounds about right to me :) I replace the carbon every 2-3 weeks in the 46 gallon hex tank. No need for me to replace it that often in the 180 as it's still cycling and there isn't much in the water for the carbon to remove yet. Oh, and I only use Black Diamond brand carbon.

2. Click Here!

3. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Does carbon lose its potency/effectiveness over time? The carbon I have is a giant amount that I, um, er, procured from my university's aquarium room before I graduated...5 years ago.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it's unused then no, it shouldn't lose it's effectiveness.

5. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

my tank has been up now for about 3 months. I have already gone through a diatom bloom and it cleared up. I have started to ge another now. I have about 120# of live rock. Im curious whether this could be something to do with the bioballs. Alot of people have suggested taking them out as I have enough live rock in the tank. Any thoughts?

I was just reading some other post about diatom bloom and crazy white sponges appearing in the sump. I just did a water cahnge and sucked a bunch of these sponges out. Is that why I am getting the diatom bloom again?
    was taht a bad move?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wouldn't remove the bio-balls. They've got a bad rap for reasons that I have yet to understand. As for the sponges, they're not at all detrimental so there's no reason to suck them out when you do water changes. I would look more towards water quality for the reasons behind your diatom bloom. What are your phosphates, nitrates, and silicates at? Did you add more live rock after the initial diatom bloom?

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I ran bio balls for yrs and never a problem with Diatoms if its a true diatom problem then it has to be a source of silicates entering the system from somewhere as mentioned in the other reply are you using a good quality water for the make up in the system ?
    And as for the white sponges in the sump I can't recall the name right off but they are a bit like the liver sponges that will encrust the rock and are just a good sign of water quality and make a superb water filter and I'd just let them ride they like low light areas and if you see them there then you can bet they are all up under and rocks in the tank.. Not a problem..

8. Click Here!

9. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

If your tank is running fine, L-E-A-V-E-I-T-A-L-O-N-E. ;D

10. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

yes, im using ro/di water for wter changes. I guess my question really was if the sponges were actually doing som egood and taking them out led to the diatom bloom? I have also had some nori in a clip for a few days for my tangs. I have taken the clip out, cleaned allmy pre-filters and changed the carbon. Ill see what i get in a fwe days. thanks