Removing palys from a rock ?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by jborlace, Mar 27, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

In this case tweezers, razor and patience is what you'll need. Rinse in tank water in a separate bucket and you'll be good to go.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Never had any luck "pulling"them and theres a chance you could make it worse.

4. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

I have invasive Palys as well. I'm plucking them out a few at a time with tweezers, but I too am interested in a better solution.

5. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I have another rock that's about the same size as the one with the palys on it. It's dry rock. I think I may use that and just remove the rock that has the palys on it and let them die out. I'd like to save the green ones but not at the risk of polytoxin poison. May try to frag some of the green palys and glue back onto the dry rock. Never fragged before though. May just get a frag at the next frag swap in May.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Honestly I do not think there is a better alternative. I am in favor of the pressure wash. Be careful though.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

Yeah to be on the safe side I think I'll just pull the rock out and add the other one. No sense in risking something when I don't know what I'm doing. That's when you get into trouble with toxins.

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Are you able to chisel a chunk of the rock with the green palys off and blast the rest of it?

DSC reef likes this.
  10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've never had an issue pulling plays from a rock or pressure washing. Your not gonna poison your tank or yourself if done correctly. If your want the greens then just take a long flat razor and cut underneath the plays you want and they'll come off like a mat. Put them on the new rock and done deal. Don't over think or over worry on this one.

11. tbpb3

tbpb3 Astrea Snail

Kalk paste was helpful for my majano infestation.