Removing Cupramine from a display tank..

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by CMC53, Jun 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Corailine- You're saying that by dropping the salinity I will have to recycle the tank all over again? I heard that it wont have to. However I heard it will supress bacteria growth.

Different type of bacteria thrive and some die at different SG levels.

If you take the SG down to 1.008-1.009 the therapeutic SG to kill MI you will probably have some die off and a possible ammonia spike. Please google "hyposalinity and live rock".

Hyposalinity is best done in the QT, and never with copper, one or the other never both.

Remember that if you do hyposalinity you must raise the SG very slowly over time, fish handle going hypo much better than moving the SG in the other direction.

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

You can get Cupramine out of your DT. On my first tank I used it to treat MI, was fish only at the time. Then about 5 months later I started adding inverts with no problems. Even got to the point where I had softies and LPS in the tank with no problems. Cupramine doesnt bind or absorb into things as bad as plain copper.