Removal of green metallic mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by epsilon, May 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

So,i finally have some half way decent lighting and need to thin out my well established mushrooms to make room for other stuff. Is there any way to remove them from the rock to then attach them to frag plugs and not have them grow back? I'd simply swap the live rock but its pretty well covered everything so...

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If I want to due immediate fragging, I just use a hammer and screwdriver to chip off a little sliver of the LR under the mushroom. Glue the rock to the frag plug and you're done.

If you don't want to chip into your LR, then use a sharp (i.e. brand new) razor blade to cut the foot off of the mushroom. Then you can use the bridal veil method or the butter tub filled with CC and covered with bridal veil method and give them a week or two to reattach.

4. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

Yeah, I'd prefer not to chip my rock as it would get pretty beat up with how many I need to remove. Couple more questions then.
    1. So they would not come back from the little left of the foot?

2. Most of the rocks have 10 or more that I'll be removing. Should I do one or two at a time and then quarantine that rock to avoid messing my water up from die off?

5. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

If there's a piece of tissue left over after your cut, the shrooms WILL grow back.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yeah, but you can put Kalk Paste on the feet while it's still out of water, let it sit for 4 or 5 minutes, rinse it off with saltwater (to remove Kalk and the majority of the shriveled feet), then put it back into the tank.

7. epsilon

epsilon Feather Star

What is kalk paste? Is it something I can make or have to buy?

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Mix kalkwasser or Pickling Lime with enough water to make a paste. Then spread it on with a popsicle stick or something like that (i.e. NOT your fingers).