Regal tang has ich help asap..

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by elweshomayor, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. slickcg33

slickcg33 Astrea Snail

Not to be rude, but please dont post uninformed information, that just spreads further rumors. Please read this Marine Ich - Myths and Facts - Reef Sanctuary

here is an except from that link i posted...

"10. The parasite burrows into the fish, below the mucous layer and into the skin. (This is why cleaner fish/shrimp can’t get to it in order to remove them from the fish). The second dumbest thing an aquarist can think: I'll get some cleaner fish or cleaner shrimp to remove/eat the parasite. THESE MARINE LIFE DO NOT EAT THE PARASITE NOR WILL FISH OR SHRIMP REMOVE THE PARASITE FROM THE INFECTED FISHES."

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well regardless of anything i cant take all the fish out of my aquarium.. there is just no place to put them in.. so i guess im screwed..

4. slickcg33

slickcg33 Astrea Snail

Just keep their health up, and great water quality. Theyll still have it but should be ok to fight it off so it doesnt take over and kill the fish.

5. exoticsteve2001

exoticsteve2001 Feather Duster

No you're not screwed I recommend a good uv sterilizer.I lost fish to ich until I got one.I have bought fish that looked fine in the store placed the bag in my tank to acclimate to temp and could see ich on them.Finished doing an full acclimation and took them out put them in the tank and they shaped up in no time.I havent lost any fish since I got one.Just make sure it has the recommended flow so that it actually does its job.

6. WuWu

WuWu Feather Star

It's not uninformed pal it's what worked for me

7. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

In my opinion a UV sterilizer is more of a preventative measure against ich, however I still think it is worth the investment. There are some cheap and effective submersible ones available now.

Freshwater dips seem to work for a day or two, but after that the parasite appears again.

Even more than a UV sterilizer, I would recommend getting a quaranteen tank. Hyposalinity is my prefered treatment, as copper can leave blue stains in your tank. To do this, decrease your salinity slowly in increments of 5ppt per day to about 12-15ppt (its been a while since I have treated white spot, so if someone could confirm that number I'd appreciate it!). Keep it there for at least 1 month and the parasite will die off. Some fish species do not seem to tolerate this treatment well though. I have a feeling the species that do not tolerate this method well, may be similar to ones that do not tolerate fw dips well. In my experience, potters and flame angelfish do not react well to low salinity. I have no experience treating regal tangs.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

well UV's are for preventing measures.. it wont really "cure" my tang as of now. i just hope he is still alive.. im at the computer lab at school.;D... fingers crossed

i placed a nori strip yesterday and he was eating it.. so im hoping he is ok

10. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

I have had 3 of my fish get ich. My fire fish, kole tang, and emperor angel. I did not treatment what so ever. I didnt use garlic or copper. At one point i thought i was going to lose the firefish as it was covered and almost stop swimming. I just kept them well fed and as healthy as possible.

side note. i do however have a blood shrimp.