Refugiums

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Articles and How To's' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

::) Oh yes, I've been very, very good--if my hubby doesn't think so, I guess I'll have to build one :LolLolLol

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Nice thread Matt! I have a question. I'm setting up a 120 gal reef tank with a Sealife RM300 refugium sump.
    Sealife Systems ReefMaster
    The refugium chamber is huge at 16"x11.5"x15". The regular sump area is smaller and the measurements show 15" long but that includes the difuser sponge area which does have an opening on the bottom. It's a little tight with my Marine Pro 300 Skimmer, Mag drive 1200 pump and UV pump along with a 500watt titanium heater. Question: Can I put the heater under the difuser sponge? Can I put the heater in the refugium? It could be suction cupped to the wall and not rest on the sand? I could build a partition with egg crate if you think it would be a problem. I'm just not sure if the heat from the heater would directly effect the cheato in anyway. Thanks for all your help.
    PS: By the way could you tell me what these white things are on the rock?:-/

Attached Files:

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I think the heater under the sponge will work - I have something similar going on with my wet/dry for my turtle tank - the sponge eventually molds around the heater.

As for the rock, those look like button polyps to me. No worries there if I am right.

Good luck with the fuge!

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I received an e-mail from Sealife Systems and they said the egg crate barrier in the fuge would be ok so as not to brush against the cheato. He says the heater will burn the cheato. I prefer that method so as not to disturb the sponge. Plus I planed on putting bags of carbon and phoslock under the sponge which brings up another option. Is carbon as necessary as it used to be? I've heard a reefer say he slices his sponge in half and puts the bags in between like a sandwich. Any ideas out there?

6. Big Fish Brian

Big Fish Brian Astrea Snail

I use to have Caulerpa and always left my fuge light on 24/7, because in fact it will turn sexual and spread into the entire system.. That would be Very Bad.
    I now replaced the Caulerpa with Macro algae, and have the light on at opposite time of the main tank, AND I'VE HAD BETTER RESULTS WITH THE LATTER..

I hope this helps..

7. pstroh

pstroh Plankton

Nowadays most people use cheato. as their macro alge. This only requires an alternating light cycle. With calupera the 24 hour cycle is better less risk of the plant from going asexual. It is also for both these reasons that cheato is the macro of choice now. It works great and grows very quickly.

8. Click Here!

9. FyrFytr

FyrFytr Astrea Snail

Pardon the newbie question...but what are the lighting requirements for the cheto? IE...a fish only tank can use any light but if you are going to have corals you have to have certain lighting options. Can I use any form of light for the cheto? I am looking at doing LED for my tank, can i just get one of those cheap eBay strip lights for the cheto?

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Way to raise an ol' thread. ;D

Yes, the color temperature of your refugium light is very important.
    Choose a color temperature between 5500K and 6500k.
    You can find bulbs in this range (and the other equipment needed) at a home improvement store.

11. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Lol, I was gonna say, talk about resurected from the dead but Fat Bastid beat me to it! :joker:

12. pizza101

pizza101 Flamingo Tongue