Refugium

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Tropo, Mar 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

So, I was thinking of making a DIY 10 gallon refugium to add on to my 20 gallon long when I set it up. The question I have is: How do I monitor the evaporation if the water level is constantly going down the overflow? This may be a silly question, just trying to figure it all out before I set up the tank.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Where your water level will vary depends on the design of your sump/refugium.Your display tank level will remain constant as it is determained by the overflow height.If you have a seperate chamber in your sump/fuge for your return pump,which is reccomended,that is where the water level will drop with evaporation.

1 person likes this.
  4. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

Very interesting, I would not of figured that. Thanks for the info!

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Are you adding a sump with refugium?

6. Singlefin

Singlefin Astrea Snail

You will see it in your return pump chamber.

7. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

Yes, sorry, I should of specified. I will be making a sump with a refugium section.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

10. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

That brings another question to mind: Whats the best way to do water changes when using a sump with refugium? Is it best to do them within the sump or DT? Being the sump will only be filled with about 5 gallons, I don't see how you could use the sump without draining the entire thing.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I usually take water out of the display tank for water changes. If you need to vaccum the sump and take some out of there nothing wrong with that though. Just seems easier to to the display.

12. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Since you will be running some plumbing anyway, you could just split off your drain and put a valve on it so you can use it for water changes. Then you would just open up that valve and while you remove old water just add new into your sump. There are all kinds of ways to set up just figure out what will work best for YOU.