Refugium

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by nwlisowski14, Jul 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nwlisowski14

nwlisowski14 Plankton

I was wondering what is the benefit of having a refugium? Do they actually work and would one be even worth putting on a 30 gallon Saltwater tank?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Depends on what you're keeping, what filtration you have, and what you want to accomplish with it.

4. zackscott20

zackscott20 Fire Shrimp

5. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

I'd say they definitely are worth it. Even if you don't have issues with algae, you still can get away with no filter with expensive cartridges and probably perform less (or smaller) water changes since algae in the refugium is soaking up a lot of stuff.

6. nwlisowski14

nwlisowski14 Plankton

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Increased volume of water is always a good thing.

Somewhere to hide equipment that you might not need now but later down the road is always a good thing.

Other than more money and some DIY skills and time I see no down side.

8. Click Here!

9. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

Refugium - is a place to keep good algea, raise copapods, zooplankton, and mangroves. These help reduce nitrates, phosphates, and feed your corals and other tank inhabitants. Using this with a sump will increase your tank volume, let you hide equipment (e.g. skimmer, heater, reactors, filters...), gives you a place to dose your aquarium instead of dosing your DT, and it increases flow to your system.

There are HOB Refugiums, I have read that there are some good HOB fuges out there. They do add some volume to your tank but you are not able to hide your equipment as well, and I don't know if dosing your refugium would hurt your food source.

If you have any other questions just ask and I may be able to help on this subject.

Happy Reefing

Zach