Refugium/Sump

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Guest, Sep 24, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I use my refugium to keep hair algae out of the main tank and to lower any phosphates that may appear from feeding etc. It is also a great place for raising little creatures.
    One thing is do not put sand or rocks near the skimmer or return pump as the sand or rock could get into the working parts and stop the pumps.

2. Click Here!

3. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

So I can create an isolated area in my refugium for equipment then it becomes a combo... I have heard that using your protein skimmer in the ref/sump isnt as effective as using in the main tank but I dont understand why it wouldnt be because its the same water in the tank as is in the ref/sump

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

This means it is one of the first things that would get the tank water that is not diverted from another source like a refugium.
    This is how mine it set up.
    (also if you click on the "reply" under each post you have more options like posting pictures from your hard drive)

Attached Files:

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

My Skimmer is next to the filter sponge but I did not draw it that way because it would cover up the main pump in the drawing.

6. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

Thanks alot... I am looking at differet setups to model mine after but when im done its going to definetly look alot like yours...

7. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

I see that your refugium has a spray bar? Can you just run a tube into ir or i guess i am asking what is the purpsoe of the spray bar? Is algae the only thing your keeping in there? I think I am jsut going to get a little bit larger tank that originally thought and use half of the tank for the ref ad the other half to keep equip... Is all this stuff going to make alot of noise ruinng at night? thanks for all the help