Refugium help

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by reefer_dane, Jul 10, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer_dane

reefer_dane Astrea Snail

I am getting ready to start a 29 gallon sump build. I plan on doing 3 chambers as follows; SKIMMER /// RETURN /// REFUGIUM

Now my questions.
    I am doing a bean animal overflow. If I have my Open Channel Standpipe (not the full siphon) drain into my refugium will this be enough flow for the refugium? This will be a 1" inch pipe with 1" bulkhead.

If not how much waterflow should I have for a successful refugium?

How big should should the refugium be in a 29 gallon sump?

2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Depends who you listen to on size. 10% of display seems common. I know of smaller, and of larger. Some like 10x actual fuge volume for flow... so you are looking at 100 gph? Depends what your DT is.

The open channel is going to have what ever you adjust it to. You can have barely a trickle, or as much as your plumbing can take and still be quiet and no splashing. Depending on your tank size... that may or may not be enough.

Just don't forget though, the open channel is for adjustment, but is also first back up and should handle 100% flow easily. Question is, depending on what is in your fuge, can it handle 100% flow?

1 person likes this.
  4. reefer_dane

reefer_dane Astrea Snail

Thanks for the help powerman. Very helpful. The DT is a 40 gallon and the fuge will probably have chaeto and mangroves. Can this handle 100% flow? Do you think I am better going... Skimmer /// Fuge /// Return?

5. Ryan Duchatel

Ryan Duchatel Millepora

Mine goes Skimmer/Fuge/Return.

6. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I would like to recommend that you put a Y and a valve off of your main flow to your fuge. This will allow you to completely adjust your flow into your fuge, and still get all the volume you need to your skimmer. As Powerman said you want to make sure that whatever your open channel pipe is plumbed to can handle full flow. I have been reading that many people like to use 10% - 20% flow for their refuge, which is probably the best, considering that it is a refuge for pods and plankton. To much flow will carry them away and not give them a place to grow and reproduce. The macro algae and mangroves will grow fine with a lower flow rate. Also the lower flow rate allows for more debris to settle in the fuge to feed the inhabitants there.

Just my .02

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

No keep it the way it is, if anything come of the siphon instead. But flow will be plenty. Even 100 gph is like a trickle really. It's not as much as it sounds.

So you are looking at like a 4 gallon actual volume fuge (10g section?) with 40 gph max. The only thing that will be a problem is the flow in the open channel... it is not full of water. So you have to tee off the bottom of the pipe. You will have enough flow, and you probably would never see the main become clogged and cause a problem, but will be finicky to adjust.

Doh... never mind. Right, all of it going to the fuge, and then adjust flow with main and how much you want. I doubt full flow through the fuge would be a problem... I mean we are talking fail safe emergency here, not normal flow. But when you start the return pump, things will surge and purge a bit till it gets settled out. I do not know if that is a problem for you.

It is just as easy to come off the bottom of the main and call it good. It needs to be before the regulating valve though, or it can possibly start a siphon between skimmer section and fuge depending how things are.

When you build this, get threaded valves... so if things do not work out you can reuse them, instead of buying more because they were glued.