Refugium discussion

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Crimson Ghost, Dec 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I've done high flow refugiums, low flow refugiums, over the tank refugiums, refugiums filled with tons of rubble (really bad idea), miracle-mud refugiums with caulerpa, refugiums with a SSB, refugiums with a DSB, refugiums using multiple species of macro, refugiums using only chaetomorpha, lit 24/7, lit reverse schedule, and probably about 10 other ways.

I didn't slow the flow down for that customer because I've READ that they work better at lower flow. I have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (I.E. testing of parameters) that they work better at lower flow rates. In fact, if everyone says not to do something, it makes me want to try it more. Don't forget that I'm the dork that went against conventional wisdom when everyone was saying that refugiums had to be above the tank so that plankton wouldn't be killed by a return pump. I actually put a 1 micron bag on my return and tested both methods. You don't need to worry about your pods getting nuked by your return pump.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I'm really glad this thread was re-looked upon. Thanks to everyone that gave their input here, I have a much better understanding now, and I'm going to stick with using my skimmer and the Fuge. I do like the shrimp idea. Diversity in a reef, I believe, is what keeps life going, so why not incorporate that into our tanks. I'm assuming that the lighting shouldn't be very difficult, so long as it's using a 'daylight' bulb for the macro to live off of.
    Next week I'm going out to get an overflow box, and a pump. I've already got all the plumbing bought, I was setting everything up for 3/4", but then I was told that I should have the input larger than my return. This allows the best flow no matter how much my pump puts into the DT, so I'm going 3/4 return, with a 1" flex pipe back down to the fuge. It's a 55g DT, with a 20g fuge, and I want my turn over rate to be 3-5 times my main size, ao about a 250-300 gph pump should do. I'll throw up some pics when I get it all done. Am I missing anything?

4. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I think another important topic to discuss is whether macro algae will be phased out in favor of bio-pellets.

There is a large nitrate load produced in a reef, but live rock can reduce a lot of that. Then we have a DSB or macro algae. We can run GFO for phosphates... yet some systems seem to be able to have no nitrates or algae, but still have PO4 so they still need to run GFO.

So it would seem that system is nitrate limited and phosphate can't be taken up by algae. Running bio pellets could reduce the need for macro alage. In my fuge my cheato barely grew. It would take about 3 months to double in size and it was thinned out so it was not in a ball and dying inside. I started bio pellets and expected the cheato to just die out, but I didn't run it long enough.

Perhaps we won't need so much nitrate removal... just a lot of live rock, have a fuge for pods, let algae grow for them to feed off of, but not worry about harvesting for export, and just run bio pellets.

I don't really know what would be best, just that bio pellets are showing to be very effective.

1 person likes this.
  5. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

This is a fantastic thread. Great input from everyone that has contributed.

6. mdaigle21

mdaigle21 Astrea Snail

i know this thread is rather old but i have a few questions... wont my mag drive kill the pods if i put them in my fuge? and i didnt find an answer on the clean up crew... is it bad to put crabs and things in with the pods? im currently tryin to culture pods in my dt but it seems like the fish might wipe them out before they get a chance... i dont have my mandarins yet but its a goal of mine to be able to have them and not starve them. do copepods need lighting if i put them in the fuge?will the overflow in the fuge push them all in my tank or will they be able to hide there?

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hi mdaigle21. I actually use a siphon drain to return the refugium to my sump (I like to have a separate refugium from my sump so to control water flow, 10% per hour). Anyway, no the pump is not a blender and it will permit the pod’s to pass unharmed. The refugium does require lighting – I run a reverse photo period and suggest this. Pod’s will multiply in the refugium and find their way to the DT on their own. My mandarin has been in my system for many years, fat little bugger too. A clean up crew is not needed in the refugium, but as with all things – a few sails and hermits will find their way to it on their own. A refugium is a set it and forget it system – no poking around required. The more you stay away the healthier it will make your system.

8. Click Here!

9. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Nice thread. Im in the process of setting up my first tank. at 75 with a 30 gal, sump/fuge. I have my skimmer in the first section, return pump in the middle and fuge on the opposite side. I have the water level set so that it is about 1/2 inch over the divider to my huge to keep flow down on that side of the system. Hope it works!!! I have about 4 inches of sand. I plan on using chaeto. The only thing i can't decide is if i should add rock or rubble. Does that small amount compared to what is in the DT really make a difference?

10. Brendan Z

Brendan Z Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I seem to have a similar setup to yours, not necessarily by choice but more by poor planning ahead of time. I am, however, actually very happy with the way it has been working out tho and would do it this way by choice next time lol.

I have a 90 gal DT with a 10 gal Fuge and a 10 gal Sump. I have plumbed the system to split the flow between the Fuge and the Sump with a ball valve restricting flow to the Refugium. The Fuge is also raised 6" above the sump so that I can gravity feed the Fuge water into the sump (Skimmer Compartment) by way of a bulkhead instead of a syphon. So the Skimmer section of the sump has flow being introduced both directly from the DT and also from the Fuge.

I have had this setup going for a couple months now and have seen a lot of bubble aglae growing in the fuge. You said it is more of a "set it and forget it" system but I was concerned with the bubble algae attaching itself to the Macro Algae. I have been removing the bubble algae maybe once a week or so, are you saying that I shouldn't worry about the bubble algae over-running the macro algae?

11. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Lost item

Hey mems,

To me a refugium is first a part of a food sourse and any thing you can get it to do after that is extra. You would need a huge refugium to keep fish alive but as extra food(snack) Yes.
    A high percent of reefer's have refugiums but you don't hear much about them seeing food going into their tank. And i never hear members talk about seeing their fish eating? I believe this is the lost item when talking about refugiums and their effect on our reef tanks. If you don't ever see your fish shoot to your inlets chances are your refugium food is not getting to your main tank. You must have alot of MicroFana and flow enough to pull it to the main tank they just don't jump into the pump overflow.
    I set mine up with strong flow, shrimps (peppers) as many as i can, a nice open small rock structure elevated, 6" sand, algae and one small area in a corner rubble rock. My refugium's are set up to be an extension of the main tank and just as much fun to look at:)

12. mdaigle21

mdaigle21 Astrea Snail

wow... thank you for the advice. i guess its trial and error at this point to see what works. we bought a used tank(110g) with a small sump(20g) so i guess well see what happens if i put macroalgae and pods and maybe mysis is my refugium... if it doesnt work, no harm done... might just have to get a bigger sump. or if they dont flow into the dt on their own i can always siphon them when i need to.
    this has been very helpful. if you have any more advice id be glad to take it