Refractometer

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Land_Fish, Feb 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Really "tricky" - :-[ :-[ :p - :)

Test results this AM -

SG with:

Coralife "Deep Six" (actually with 2 of them) - 1.022 (each)

Instant Ocean Hydormeter (MarineLand Labs) - 1.028

Refractometer: 1.026

Am putting faith in last...will take down to LFS today to compare with his.

Sooo, as said before, those "swing-arms" are not for one who really wants to know "exactly" what his SG is...looks like I have spent about $30 on them over time :(...maybe good for a quick general check like for initial mixing, not much else.

OmarD

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

4. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

And on review page we only have 2 votes so far so those of you that have the refractometer please go to reviews and vote.

Thanks

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Did you test it vs LFS?

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

@Nautilus,

RE:  "did you test w/LFS yet?"

... have not made it down to him yet...will try to do during lunch tomorrow...

If not, "or maybe also" - am headed to "big city" Saturday for PSAS meet  (Charles Delbeek speaking - going to be a "WOWSER" for sure) and will spend some time at the Seattle Aquarium before meet (as usual :eek: - never can get fill of seeing & "wallowing in" their stuff!   ::) )

Anyway will take refractometer along and see if I can get one of their resident "water wizards" to check out for me...

Will Report...

Rgds,

Om
    8)

PS: also have arrangement to see & tour "Salsaking's" system same afternoon - gonna be a big "Reefing Day" - (as every day should be ;) ) -- Will say hi to "Mojo Mike" from all here...

7. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Cool whats the word Scott?

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

What can I say, but it was a GREAT "Reefing" day!!! ;D

Was not able to link up with "Salsaking" as he had other commitments...but have open invitation to visit another time.

Met Mike OBrian ("MojoReef") & Delbeek at Seattle Aquarium prior to meeting while they were getting tour (& I was getting "calibration" done, as related in other post)

Charles Delbeek gave a wonderful presentation on (pre dieoff) reef conditions in both Palau and on GB Reef, Aust. - also a very indepth description (w/slides) of the rebuilding of the The Waikiki Aquarium, founded in 1904, is the third oldest public aquarium in the United States. - I actually visisted it about 45 years ago while passing thru Hawaii on a Navy dependant transport ship as a child...looks much different then I recall (as everything there does...)

Impressed me so much that I right away after getting home send letter inquiring about a summer "internship" at the Aquarium this summer...(rest of family of to visit relatives in Lebanon - so I have some "free time") - if does not work out, am also considering a "Red Sea" or "Maldives" trip.

Anyway...he was much enjoyed by all - a veritable fountain of knowledge and reef "wisdom".

Like with A. Calfo, I left with a degree of meloncoly, wishing I had chosen a path such as theirs early in life :-[...but, along with, a great deal of motivation to learn more with time I have left! ;)- These guys are doing wonderful stuff.

Another great PSAS meeting...

Scott

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Scott,
    What kind of refractometer did they have at the aquarium?

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

RE: "...What kind of refractometer did they have at the aquarium?..."

Sorry Dave...did not pay attention to "brand" -- but looked just like the ones we have...expect they have some regular calibration procedure to insure accuracy..

Scott

12. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

You got the Blue refractometer right?
    And you never adjusted it in anyway?